Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising fault?

Options
  • 12-05-2005 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Was at a friends house today and he wanted me to load some software on his computer. I started loading some on and soon it gave the insufficient menory error. His laptop, over a year old still had the sticker on in from when it was advertised saying 30 gig. I went to c: properties and saw it was nearly at max with 18.7+ gig. I'm pretty sure there is no partition. It must have only been 20 gig hard drive. Maybe the seller made a mistake I don't know.

I am writing this up for 2 main reasons.

1. Did this ever happen to anyone before?

2. It may be an idea just to do a quick check on newly purchased computers if everything arrives as advertised!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Could be a hidden backup partition. They do that these days, but normally only take 5gigs max. They could fob you off with the excuse of "we count 1gb as 1000mb not 1024mb" or something like that either. Get some partition program and check for a hidden partition. I think windows has a utility that will show them too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Google the HDD type and model - may be blocked or partioned badly.
    Check the admin tools also (right click my computer-Manage- Disk management)- might be unpartioned & not working.

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

A mate of mine a few years ago now bought a computer and was supposed to come with 128mb ram, it had 64, it just was out of warranty, and I was asked to get it working again, safe to say they paid for the extra ram at the time. I was really annoyed at the fact they had never checked. But me being the kind friend I am gave them the old stick from my computer when I upgraded to 256mb, leaving them with the ram they originally wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Probably partitioned with the recovery data hidden.

30 gig's shoud format out to 28GB of usable space - the recovery data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

dawballz wrote:
    They could fob you off with the excuse of "we count 1gb as 1000mb not 1024mb" or something like that either.

That's not a "fob off". That's the industry standard way of measuring hard disk capacity.

I don't like it either...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What model is the drive - should say in device manage or on startup - then MrGoogle will tell you how big it is.

if 2k/xp right click my computer - manage - disk management - should list other partitions, maybe.

Advertisement