Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fitz - Sunday Afternoons

Options
  • 12-05-2005 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭

starting this Sunday, registration starting at 4, 30euro FO, 3000 starting chips 20 min blinds 25/50 50/100 75/150 etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Sweet - I'll be there (hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭OhPinchy

sound - just exactly the type of tournament I was looking for so I'll try haul ass in there for the first time on sunday....will my driving license do as ID for membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Hopefully there will be a good turn out so there will be a half decent prize pool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

lovely...just what the doctor ordered

nice one oscar!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

the single best piece of news i've heard this month. fun fun fun. is the freeroll still on at six? Just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

This still on Oscar?

it is still on alright starting at 4 as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bookable

After my rare appearence and even rarer success last night in hold em/omaha im thinking of producing an even rarer appearence for tonight.

what tourney's are on today? have not been in on a sunday in ages

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Copied and pasted off fitz website:

Sundays Sundays No-Limit Texas Hold-em 8.30pm.
    Buy in €20, Registration fee €5, Re-buys €20 each, 1 top up at €20. 3 re-buys or 2 re-buys in the re-buy period and a top up.

Sundays No-Limit Texas Hold-em Satellite for the monthly €270 tournament. 6pm
    Unlimited rebuys €10 each during the re-buy period. 1 top up at €10 after the re-buy period ends.

Im thinking about heading up myself. Anyone know what the turnout is usually like?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bookable

There was around 60 runners last night prize money was ok ish
    I would say around the same tonight but not sure

• Advertisement

Just got back from the 25euro game in the fitz. Finished 12th after some asian lad beside me (a fitz regular i think) made two ridiculous calls and got lucky twice.

First hand i was SB he was BB (500 ,1000). I get J 10 suited and i figured he had nothing so I went all in for 16,000. He thinks about it for ages and goes all in for 7,000 with......Q 4o!!! Jack comes out on flop and he rivers a queen. Fair enough he was slightly ahead going in to the hand but surely thats a terrible all in call with Q 4o.

I build myself up to 11,000 and find pocket 7s. with only one caller and the asian guy left to act I figured no-one had anything again so i move all in (blinds now 800, 1500). First lad folds straight away. Asian lad has about 14,000 left. He thinks for ages and calls with K 8! Flops an 8 and im out in 12th.

Is it just me or were both these calls terrible? Fair enough he was ahead in the first one and only just behind in the second but surely it still counts as getting lucky.

Ive seen that asian lad in there a few times and I think he's got a much bigger bankroll than me so maybe he just didn't really care if he got knocked out. I cant understand why else he would call 2 all ins with such terrible cards.

Oh yeh could marq or oscar post the results of the tourney

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

For the first one, that kind of move is always going to get you into trouble. Sure it was an iffy call by him, but if you go all-in for 15,000 with the blinds only 500,1000 it looks pretty damn obvious you don't want a call. How did you figure he had nothing when he hasn't even acted in the hand yet? The only hands your getting called by here are ones you are behind.

For the second one, the reason he probably called is because of your first move. He probably thought his K8 was in decent shape considering your move with the J10 and the fact you were short stacked and likely to make a move with any half decent hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

roryc wrote:
    Just got back from the 25euro game in the fitz. Finished 12th after some asian lad beside me (a fitz regular i think) made two ridiculous calls and got lucky twice.

First hand i was SB he was BB (500 ,1000). I get J 10 suited and i figured he had nothing so I went all in for 16,000. He thinks about it for ages and goes all in for 7,000 with......Q 4o!!! Jack comes out on flop and he rivers a queen. Fair enough he was slightly ahead going in to the hand but surely thats a terrible all in call with Q 4o.
    I think there are more subtle ways to play this hand. Limp in and take it off him on the flop or pop it to 3k (probably more likely to induce a fold) and take it on the flop if he calls. I'd prefer to limp in personally as any other raise puts him all in or mostly pot commits him. Even had you not hit the flop you can take his blind with a flop bet (unless he's all over it) and given that you pushed preflop all you were after was his blind. This strikes me as the safer way of going about getting it. JT plays well in a multi way pot it's not the sort of thing you want to take into a race.

He kinda doesn't have enough chips to fold preflop if he thinks he's being bluffed. Him thinking he was being bluffed here is fair enough really.
    I build myself up to 11,000 and find pocket 7s. with only one caller and the asian guy left to act I figured no-one had anything again so i move all in (blinds now 800, 1500). First lad folds straight away. Asian lad has about 14,000 left. He thinks for ages and calls with K 8! Flops an 8 and im out in 12th.

Is it just me or were both these calls terrible? Fair enough he was ahead in the first one and only just behind in the second but surely it still counts as getting lucky.
    I don't understand this hand. If he is directly to your left how can someone else act before him after your all in?

I don't like his call if a limper was due to act after him if not it's situational. On one hand he should be realising that after his previous call that you know he can call with any hand so this makes it less likely that you are bluffing this time. On the other if you have been genuinely wild at the table on top of the JT hand or have show a tendancy to only be aggressive with marginal hands and to play your big hands in a more considered fashion then he can make a decision that it's another bluff and call.

Obviously he decided he was being bluffed again, it's difficult to know whether that was a reasonable decision without knowing how you played a lot of your other hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I think they were terrible calls Rory! U were right, he was wrong, end of story. How dare he! And since I'm officially the third best player here I must be right too! How dare he i say. I shant sleep tonight i'm so furious.
    U woz robbed! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

And since I'm officially the third best player here I must be right too!
    AAaaaahhheem...

I think the PS tourney is a better reflection of who the best players are ;) moreso than a once off luckfest :D

* Speaking of which are we ever getting that table updated Muso

jtsuited wrote:
    the single best piece of news i've heard this month. fun fun fun. is the freeroll still on at six? Just in case
    jtsuited, did you play in the €30 freezeout yesterday afternoon in the Fitz? BigDragon, biteme, Marq, MadsL and I were there (in fact, we all made the final table :) against all the odds)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

how did you get on paul? who won, what was the prize pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Obscure

ionapaul wrote:
    jtsuited, did you play in the €30 freezeout yesterday afternoon in the Fitz? BigDragon, biteme, Marq, MadsL and I were there (in fact, we all made the final table :) against all the odds)

How many runners were there at the 30 freeze-out? Is it on again next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

And I dealt a few hands every now and then.

On every Sunday, should grow from here, 11 players

1st 125 Ionapaul
    1st 125 BigDragon
    3rd 50 Biteme

Bigdragon and Ionapaul split it and I came third after running into paul when he had AK. And then getting rivered when my 42o got cracked by his AQo.

Was 11 runners. Short handed was fun while it lasted and then it just turned into rockfest :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I couldn't make it in yesterday and am away next weekend but will definitely play the week after that.

biteme wrote:
    Bigdragon and Ionapaul split it and I came third after running into paul when he had AK. And then getting rivered when my 42o got cracked by his AQo.

Was 11 runners. Short handed was fun while it lasted and then it just turned into rockfest :P
    When it was 6-handed there were 5 rocks and 1 biteme :) Which is why it took sooooo long to get to the money.

ionapaul wrote:
    When it was 6-handed there were 5 rocks and 1 biteme :) Which is why it took sooooo long to get to the money.

This is why I was annoyed I didn't do better. I think I played too meekly we we got down to five handed and wasn't using my stack to the best advantage, but I didn't think I was in the best position with BigDragon on my left and Ionapaul on my left. Twas kinda difficult to build up chips when every time you raise no one believes you have even half a hand :/ Although it does wonders for my table image.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i was going to go in for this game yesterday but couldn't make it in the end...i a newbie to holdem so do you think i'd be out of my depth in this game?...

bohsman wrote:
    And I dealt a few hands every now and then.

On every Sunday, should grow from here, 11 players

1st 125 Ionapaul
    1st 125 BigDragon
    3rd 50 Biteme
    Yeh looking back on the hands now I probably could have played them differently, but I forgot to mention that i had been getting away with stuff like that all night. I had built most of my stack by robbing blinds and going over the top of raises.

All the same I still think that even if I made a bad move all in, how can he call? Even if he does think I was bluffing how can you call an all in with Queen high? I understand that he may have thought I was bluffing but I still think they were terrible calls with the cards he held.

I'm not debating whether my move was right or wrong (i know I play pretty wild), i'm asking whether ANYBODY else would have commited all their chips to an all in with either Q 4 or K 8....... I know that 90% of the time I never would have called.

Anyway I dont care much now.... 'thats poker' and all that.

No fcuk it I do care!

I was right, he was wrong, end of story! (as the great Doc Farrell once put it)

Fair play to ionapaul and big dragon in the 30euro game. Damn job got in the way of me playing...

Maybe next week

next time you go all-in when Im at your table i'll call you with Q 4 or K 8 :)

please do...

OK then I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

indeed i was. twas me who finished 5th. tight play and no cards (apart from the bullets) got me into a right mess. Good fun though. Worst run of cards i've ever had, but them's poker. Just to turn things round i won 2 sng's (consecutively) on Empire when i got home. So i guess it balanced out. I figured we all got lucky to get to that final table!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

roryc wrote:
    No fcuk it I do care!

I was right, he was wrong, end of story! (as the great Doc Farrell once put it)

You were far from right moving all-in with J,10. It was a very ropey call but bad plays generally do get punished. Making a massive over-raise like that is just asking for trouble.

By the sounds of it you were playing very aggressive and he fancied his chances. He probably thought the worst he was getting was 60/40, the asian lads do love abitta gamble.

Advertisement