Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton Internet Securities is worse than spyware.

Options
  • 11-05-2005 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

This is more a rant than anything.

Several lines of branded PCs come with Norton IS 2004 pre-installed, and my god, its worse than some spyware I've encountered.

First off, there's a definite hit to PC performance with all its bells and whistles running.

I had to try and sort out a PC on which DNS traffic wouldn't work. I sussed right out that it was probably down to some sort of firewall, having had the problem before, myself. So I try to access the firewall settings in Norton IS.

"You must enable the Securities program to access this."

I made sure to enable everything in IS so I could come back and change firewall settings after a reboot, checked in msconfig that all the services would be turned on, and rebooted. I come back and it then informs me that I didn't have sufficient access to change the settings. On any user. Considering the owner of the PC hadn't set any password for IS, having only gotten the PC a few days before, it was odd.

I rebooted into safe mode and logged in as the admin. Same thing. At this point I decide to try and remove IS-I check in Add/Remove Programs, absolutely nothing is listed there. I open up regedit, backup and delete all Symantec and related keys and then reboot.

To my dismay, I find that several Explorer shell functions, such as network connectivity and file indexing and searching are no longer functional. I import the keys again and functionality, such as it is, is restored.

I admit that the standalone Anti-Virus program is a great piece of kit, but stay away form Internet Securities unless you want your PC hijacked. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Wouldnt touch this program with a barge pole, that said norton system works is useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I had grief with norton a while back. UNINSTALLED IT ALL & REPLACED IT WITH McAfee Security Suite, best thing I ever did ( Daily updates & no yearly subs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

i just use avg... works great

Advertisement