Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus problem

Options
  • 11-05-2005 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having trouble getting rid of a virus and need some help. Whenever I startup i get a norton virus alert pop-up:
    Object Name : C:\Windows\web\dlltcp.dll .
    Virus name: Trojan.Vundo.B .
    Action Taken : Unable to repair this file.

I was diected to the symantec site and downloaded the removal tool. After I run it it says that it was removed and would be gone after a reboot. It comes up again after the reboot. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Disable System Restore and delete its saved images (assuming Windows ME+).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

You could make a note of its location restart in safe mode & then delete it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This is it : C:\Windows\web\dlltcp.dll . Ive tried deleting it gut it wont let me. @aidan: dont use system restore. symantec site reconned safe mode and virus scan, but no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭smorton

beller has a good idea but you could go a bit further. if you delete the virus itself there may still be another process that starts with windows remaking it. you have to stop this one starting with windows. get this program:
    www.snapfiles.com/get/autostartmgr.html
    and delete any dodgy looking processes from the startup list, i.e. any unknown thing in the system32 folder. usually in that folder but not always. restart in safe mode, delete it and your flying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/15697.html

There's a lot of suggestions here, but the key one is turning off Norton auto protect. Make sure you have the right tool, make sure you run it in safe mode

• Advertisement
Advertisement