Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Leary - September 18th, Point Theatre

Options
  • 11-05-2005 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

I am aware that its not quite music or anything, but it is an event!

If anyone fancies seeing the biggest thief of Bill Hicks material (apart from that chap that seems to think its a good idea impersonating him on stage), he's playing The Point in September as part of Bulmers Comedy Festival. Tickets are on sale.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I hope this is the first gig in Ireland where a performer comes and actually not one person buys a ticket.. Seriously. Waste of space this guy.. Its amazing that Bill Hicks dies...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

odd thing is, learys rip off material is often a lot funnier than a lot of hicks original stuff...none of that college boy self righteous whining from denis that hicks indulged in :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Hmmm... prolly wont go cos he ain;t that good! Hicks was was so much better! Leary could perform some of his Spoken Word tracks!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I could be interested in this. The point is a terrible venue for it, though...... Leary's last show I saw (Lock'n'Load) was pretty much free of Hick's material, and there were some very funny sketches in it. Hopefully his show in September will be all new material.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

saw Leary last time he was here and it was pretty poor (Lock'n'load). He was totally upstaged by his warm up act....Tommy Tiernan :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Oh... support acts, forgot those!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked Lock'n'Load (I was at that show in the Olympia), but I was already really familar with the material (I had bought the CD a few months beforehand).

TmB wrote:
    I liked Lock'n'Load (I was at that show in the Olympia), but I was already really familar with the material (I had bought the CD a few months beforehand).

TBH i'd only listened to no cure for cancer and i loved that (hadn't heard of bill hicks at the time :o )

i was at those olympia shows too...But LnL was really lame....gone was angry white man replaced with mildly pissed off with hanson, coffee, noisey darth vader and kids man...boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I think Leary sucks ass through a narrow straw. As soon as he opens his mouth I want to kick his teeth in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

RuggieBear wrote:
    saw Leary last time he was here and it was pretty poor (Lock'n'load). He was totally upstaged by his warm up act....Tommy Tiernan
    We were of that opinion too.
    RuggieBear wrote:
    i was at those olympia shows too...But LnL was really lame....gone was angry white man replaced with mildly pissed off with hanson, coffee, noisey darth vader and kids man...boring
    Yeap, that sums it up perfectly. I vaguely remember him ranting about Flatley and Lord of the Dance for a while, which was really funny to begin with but then he seemed to milk the living daylights out of it :(

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I saw LnL too, and walked away sorely dissapointed. I mean, it's nice that his kids are cute and all, but I wish I didn't have to hand over money to hear him talk about them. For two hours. Ahem...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

If anyone fancies seeing the biggest thief of Bill Hicks material (apart from that chap that seems to think its a good idea impersonating him on stage)

impersonating Hicks is a great idea because he's brilliant at it.

a boardsie too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Why do people always accuse Leary of stealing Hicks' material? I can only assume it's because they've never actually listened to either comedian. Hicks' material was almost entirely political in nature, and very much against the macho american male gun culture, which is practically the exact opposite of Leary's material, much of which is of the shoot-the-vegetarians variety. Both made jokes about drugs and wore black. Other than that they've nothing in common at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭antifyre

Leary's older material was a complete rip off from Hick's stuff.....much to the horror of Hicks, who heard it first hand....and when Hick's up and died, Leary went to movies for a while, so he could learn to write mediocre drivel and pass it off as comedy..... the man is just not funny.

antifyre wrote:
    much to the horror of Hicks, who heard it first hand....
    Really?

I didn't realise his older stuff was out the same time when Hicks was still alive...

...pick up the biography,'American Scream' written by a very good friend of Hicks', who describes Hick's hearing some of Learys material on a radio show, basic rethreads of his gags......

A very funny, but sad book, it also tells of how Hicks got screwed by Letterman time and time again....

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Actually, the author of American Scream, Cynthia True, had never met Hicks, but she talked to all his friends and family. Its still a pretty good book all the same.

But what you really want to read is Bill Hick: Agent of Evolution. Written by Kevin Booth who was a lifelong friend of Hicks. Thats a superb book, it took a long time to come, but its the best bio of Bill out there. Some funny assed pictures in there too!!

Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Why do people always accuse Leary of stealing Hicks' material? I can only assume it's because they've never actually listened to either comedian. Hicks' material was almost entirely political in nature, and very much against the macho american male gun culture, which is practically the exact opposite of Leary's material, much of which is of the shoot-the-vegetarians variety. Both made jokes about drugs and wore black. Other than that they've nothing in common at all.

Read the Bill Hicks auto biography. He cried the first time he heard Learys stand up 'cd' because it was a complete rip off, many jokes almost word for word.

Actually, the author of American Scream, Cynthia True, had never met Hicks, but she talked to all his friends and family. Its still a pretty good book all the same.

But what you really want to read is Bill Hick: Agent of Evolution. Written by Kevin Booth who was a lifelong friend of Hicks. Thats a superb book, it took a long time to come, but its the best bio of Bill out there. Some funny assed pictures in there too!!

Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution

ES is right, i got my books mixed up...... :o

Still, whose turn is it with the sniper rifle.... :D

Advertisement