Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Question

Options
  • 11-05-2005 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Alright folks, question
    I had norton internet security with antivirus and firewall and all that jazz but my update subsription has run out. i dont fancy paying for a new sub so i downloaded AVG free version and sygate personal firewall, the question is do you think this will give me the same level of security if i uninstall norton and just use these two?
    any help wit this would be cool cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

john_dub wrote:
    Alright folks, question
    I had norton internet security with antivirus and firewall and all that jazz but my update subsription has run out. i dont fancy paying for a new sub so i downloaded AVG free version and sygate personal firewall, the question is do you think this will give me the same level of security if i uninstall norton and just use these two?
    any help wit this would be cool cheers.

I had norton on my home pc. I suspected there was some dodgyness going on in the background so uninstalled it and installed AVG, ran a scan and it picked up tons of crap that norton never detected. AVG has kept me clean as a whistle for over 2 years now.

Sygate is good. Personally I use Zonelabs, but thats me.

You also need ad removal software - I would recommend adaware SE plus...

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

nice one that makes me more confident bout these two cheers man

anyone got more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Same here, though an unheard of Polish antivirus called MKS_vir picked up 4 more than AVG did. It is currently 100% captivity, but AVG should be fine. (MKS costs in all fairness)

Also, suggest Zonealarm over Sygate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

AVG and sygate is what I use (behind a NAT router aswell). No problems in years.

Used to use Zonealarm until version 5 had everybodys PCs fvcking up.
    It took Zonelabs months to fix so I gave up waiting.

• Advertisement

Will zonealarm and sygate allow you to configure access on a case by case basis the same as norton or will it just block all programs from accessing the net? i mean will you get the same security alerts or will they be blocked without telling me?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Zonelabs will let you decide on a program by program basis whether to allow, ask or block internet access as well as remember your choice if you want.

Advertisement