Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost for pump and new water tank ?

Options
  • 11-05-2005 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Have a couple of plumbing jobs to get done. How much should I expect to pay for replacement pump and valves for Gas boiler ? Also the water tank is leaking.
    It's 15 " x 36 inches and we would probably go with a lagged tank. Have a quote of € 700 plus vat for water tank, which includes labour. Any ideas.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

I take it you mean the hot water cylinder ?

If it's any help the price is cheaper than the last one I installed.

As to the Gas boiler, the pump can be replaced by your plumber but the gas burner / boiler must be serviced by a qualified / recognised Bord Gais engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Beats

rooferPete wrote:
    I take it you mean the hot water cylinder ?

If it's any help the price is cheaper than the last one I installed.

As to the Gas boiler, the pump can be replaced by your plumber but the gas burner / boiler must be serviced by a qualified / recognised Bord Gais engineer.

Yes hot water cylinder . Have a service agreement with approved boiler engineer.Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭OhPinchy

As just mentioned in another thread I got some plumbing gear off a guy I know in a suppliers -

a 42" x 18" insulated indirect immersion hot water cylinder cost me €230, would say your plumber can get it for 300 max and its a half day to install I'd say so I'd be looking at getting him down to 600 cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Very good deal €300.00 cash for installation, a couple of posts back I see a potential business handyman concerned about insurance, of course your plumber doesn't need insurance ? transport ?, diesel / petrol ? fittings ? tools ? telephone / general secretarial costs ?

1/2 day to install ? so the old cylinder is already removed ? the floor inspected any water damaged timber replaced ?

Plumber must live within 5 minutes of your house or has traffic and time travelling just become free of charge ? maybe there is a Government Grant for tradesmen in traffic that I haven't been told about.

Cash ? does that mean no VAT ? which would imply all self employed tradesmen are involved in tax evasion / avoidance ? and of course when his books don't balance on audit you will pay the tax and penalties due ?

Of course you do realise cash payment means no warranty or guarantee of any kind and forget all your small claims courts or higher because you have broken the law and anyway there is no proof who did the job.

Do the simple math, in fact basic arithmatic should do.

Now who is the bigger fool a skilled tradesman who takes on all the reponsibility for less pay than he can get on a site per day with zero responsibility or the home owner who puts the biggest asset they will ever own in the hands of an alleged tradesman ?

ROFL

Advertisement