Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Painting Problem

Options
  • 11-05-2005 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Thinking about painting the gaff (2 story semi d) but have a problem with painting the gable end. There is only about 3.5 feet between it and the wall seperating us from the next house. I'd need a bloody long ladder to get up to do the woodwork on the side of the roof and the top of the wall but am a bit worried about how safe it would be to be perched ontop of an extension ladder that high up at such an acute angle. Not really worried about heights, just the sability of the ladder given that it be up at a 80+ degree angle if i want to paint the top.

anyone have any experience or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Well you could either get a very long pole like i used to use on sites that reachs up,but be warned you're arms will be like Popeyes at end of day.

I sometimes use a ladder i have in job that was made for your problem,it opens out like a step ladder but much bigger and then you extend the top part of the ladder and lock it.This type of ladder was made for Garages with nothing to rest ladder on while painting.

Once the last section is locked you can go up to the top while its not resting against anything.but make sure its footed by another person.

Why not check out the rental hire shops and ask them for advice....if you have a digital camera take a pic of what you will be dealing with and bring it along and show them in shop and they will advice im sure.

Oops,forgot to say also,i was using a very small sort of cherry picker.It was like a little tank which elevated one person straight up to a great height.

You could even drive from above but not advisable as i nearly killed an old dear while walking her dog. :D

Check this out here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

mad m wrote:

You could even drive from above but not advisable as i nearly killed an old dear while walking her dog. :D

ROFLMAO,

Is that why you'e called mad m.

You could try two 6x3 towers and a checker plate gangway between the two.
    At least the old dears would be safe.he.he.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Experience yes, though not painting.

Advice, if it doesn't look right or feel right don't do it.

You could look at Kadmans idea and get your neighbour to do theirs at the same time, that would divide the hire cost between you.

The alternative is get a painter who is happy to supply his own equipment be it a ladder or scaffold.

kadman wrote:
    mad m wrote:

ROFLMAO,

Is that why you'e called mad m.

You could try two 6x3 towers and a checker plate gangway between the two.
    At least the old dears would be safe.he.he.

kadman :)

Ah kadman,

It was on a sunday at 7am,I was painting those victorian lamposts last year around the whole of dublin for the up and coming presidental european voting ,you might of seen some of us out every weekend for 4 months to spruce up the lamposts and bollards.But that morning it was on Earlsfort Terrace.She came out of nowhere..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Scruff wrote:
    anyone have any experience or advice?

Work of a roof ladder, and lean over the side for the woodwork, and to cut in the wall painting, then work from the ground, or small step ladder, with a roller pole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

mad m wrote:
    Well you could either get a very long pole like i used to use on sites that reachs up,but be warned you're arms will be like Popeyes at end of day.
    Was thinking of this but another problem is the back and side of the house are pebble dash so extra hard to paint.
    I sometimes use a ladder i have in job that was made for your problem,it opens out like a step ladder but much bigger and then you extend the top part of the ladder and lock it.This type of ladder was made for Garages with nothing to rest ladder on while painting.

Once the last section is locked you can go up to the top while its not resting against anything.but make sure its footed by another person.

Why not check out the rental hire shops and ask them for advice....if you have a digital camera take a pic of what you will be dealing with and bring it along and show them in shop and they will advice im sure.

I was looking up those ladders on the HSS Hire shops website, combination ladders they're called (www.hss.com , select 'Eire', click on 'Browse the Catalogue' then 'DIY Tool hire' then 'Access and Maintence' and 'Combination Ladders') I rang them and asked them could they do exactly what you desctibed and if they would work without being braced against the wall and he said no.. might call in to one tomorrow morning on the way to work and ask again.

[QUOTE=Borzoi]Work of a roof ladder, and lean over the side for the woodwork, and to cut in the wall painting, then work from the ground, or small step ladder, with a roller pole[/QUOTE]
    might be an idea but again not sure how well a roller will work on pebble dash.

Hi Borzoi,

I know you meant well and the idea does look possible to do but it's a big NO NO.

From the practical side he would be leaning over and reaching down an average of 9 inches to clear the facia, then he has to use the brush or roller 8 inches in from his line of sight.

The chances are the ladder will tip over unless it's secured to the rafters, even with the ladder secured he would be over reaching and in danger of falling over the side because his centre of balance (weight) is over the side.

Just a health and safety thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Borzoi,

I know you meant well and the idea does look possible to do but it's a big NO NO.
    I better not do it again so ;)

:) Yep, there's most likely a lot of things both of us shouldn't do again, in my case I think it's age and being thankful for what I did get away with speaking ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yeah after thinking about it i dont think i'll go with Borzoi's idea.;)

might just have to leave the side upainted. it'll make the paint job look unfinished, herself wont like that at all...

Advertisement