Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun with 7 2 off!!!

Options
  • 11-05-2005 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Everybody knows the ****ty feeling of being dealt 7 2 offsuit. I hate it so much that often times i feel like folding it even when there's no raise and i'm the Big Blind! So when i got dealt it 3 times at different stages in the night, i mucked it straightaway, and here was the 3 sets of community cards:

First time:

flop: 772

Second time(about 10 minutes later)

flop: 722

third time (when i'm shorted stacked!)

flop: 222

Honestly, there's times when i hate Poker! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

but you're meant to raise with it. Only in late postition thought. Limp re-raise in early position :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Amaru

Its hard for me to judge the tone of this post, but you're kidding right?

Amaru wrote:
    Its hard for me to judge the tone of this post, but you're kidding right?

ask someone that's seen me play
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

72o is most under rated hand ever, I love playing this hand from late position or on the blinds...

As Hector said in another post "it's as likely to hit two pair as AKo is" not to mention the two flush draws, two sets of trips etc...

If I can limp in with this I will, if I can raise even better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

7 2 is known simply as 'the monster'.

I will always play it if its cheap enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

roryc wrote:
    7 2 is known simply as 'the monster'.

I will always play it if its cheap enough

Me too, but mostly for comedy value.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Buy-in, twenty euro,
    Top-up, twenty euro...
    Busting AA with 72o...priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

It worked a treat against Waylander in the boards game tonight! Then again he did have thrash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

No wonder theres hardly anyone from Ireland that seems to reach the final table of $7,500+ MMT's.

I completely agree. I'm actually shocked by some of the non joking responses in this thread. And as for this
    Iago wrote:
    72o is most under rated hand ever, I love playing this hand from late position or on the blinds...

As Hector said in another post "it's as likely to hit two pair as AKo is" not to mention the two flush draws, two sets of trips etc...

If I can limp in with this I will, if I can raise even better ;)

If you can't see whats fundamentally wrong with this in ever sense, then you're probably a very bad poker player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Amaru,

Read some of Doyle Brunson's stuff .... "it don't matter what cards you got"

Different strokes for different folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Rodge

Open your mind to the wonders of 2 7 off

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mhowe/index.htm

What, like Super System maybe? Yeah i've read it thanks.

For a start, 7 2 off is not "underrated". Its the worst possible hand you can get dealt in holdem. Thats a fact. If you want to bet money on a hand on which you are in the worst possible position to win with, then you're just being stupid. Secondly, if you form a pair with either of them, at best, you've got a middle pair on one hand, or the very smallest pair on the other. You can't make a straight with them! And again, if you do hit a flush, you'll either have the smallest possible flush, the 2, or a middle flush, and would you bet a lot of money on nobody having a higher card than a 7 of the flush's suit in their hand? I'm sorry, but if you put any money into 7 2 off suit pre flop, then you're making a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Read amps post.

Also noone will put you on it and you can easily make up any lost chips later with most opponents. Just don't play 36s. That hand is a recipe for trouble.

Amaru wrote:

For a start, 7 2 off is not "underrated". Its the worst possible hand you can get dealt in holdem. Thats a fact. If you want to bet money on a hand on which you are in the worst possible position to win with, then you're just being stupid. Secondly, if you form a pair with either of them, at best, you've got a middle pair on one hand, or the very smallest pair on the other. You can't make a straight with them! And again, if you do hit a flush, you'll either have the smallest possible flush, the 2, or a middle flush, and would you bet a lot of money on nobody having a higher card than a 7 of the flush's suit in their hand? I'm sorry, but if you put any money into 7 2 off suit pre flop, then you're making a mistake.

Are you really that stupid?

Amaru wrote:

100%

All of the above is correct, if the opponent calls your raise, and then calls your bets ... Maybe you need to read it again? ... The point he is making in the late position, he doesn't care what cards he has if not opened before hand, he also doesn't care if he hits the flop or not ....he's a raising and and a re-raising like goodo.

biteme wrote:
    Are you really that stupid?

Enlighten me then. Otherwise, bite me, biteme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bmc

Can anyone else hear that?

It sounds kind of like a coin on a window...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Amaru wrote:

For a start, 7 2 off is not "underrated". Its the worst possible hand you can get dealt in holdem. Thats a fact.

Its only the worst hand in a 9 handed game.
    Amaru wrote:
    Secondly, if you form a pair with either of them, at best, you've got a middle pair on one hand, or the very smallest pair on the other.

Its possible to make Top pair
    Amaru wrote:
    You can't make a straight with them!

Yes you can!!!!!
    Amaru wrote:
    'm sorry, but if you put any money into 7 2 off suit pre flop, then you're making a mistake.

There are often situations in tournaments in which the situation dictates you make a move, irregardless of your cards. So this statement like most of your others is incorrect.

Imposter wrote:
    Read amps post.

Also noone will put you on it and you can easily make up any lost chips later with most opponents. Just don't play 36s. That hand is a recipe for trouble.

You're right 36s is well dodgy, although I have been having a lot of luck with 85o or 85s(thanks JP) and 96o or 96s :D

• Advertisement

Its only the worst hand in a 9 handed game.
    Which is what i was playing
    Its possible to make Top pair
    I never said it wasn't. I said it makes a middle pair, as in a pair at the middle of the range. Obviously a 7 might be the highest card on the board, but how often is that?
    Yes you can!!!!!
    No, you can't. You can make a straight with ONE of them, but not both. Which is again what i wrote.
    There are often situations in tournaments in which the situation dictates you make a move, irregardless of your cards. So this statement like most of your others is incorrect.

This is true, and maybe this reflects on the type of player i am, but i can't bring myself to put money into a hand in which i have a very slim chance of winning. My chips are a commodity when i play, and if i don't think my hand can win, i'm not going to waste some of my chips on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

If that is the case Amaru, every opponent you are up against can put you on a fairly specific range of hands, once the flop comes depending on your betting they can again reduce that range of hands. How is this an advantage to you? You have to alter the hands you play in accordance with several variables, ie position, stack size, looseness of other players at the table etc.

Amaru wrote:
    I completely agree. I'm actually shocked by some of the non joking responses in this thread. And as for this

If you can't see whats fundamentally wrong with this in ever sense, then you're probably a very bad poker player.

'm hurt by this, very hurt :( now I could get involved in a pi$$ing contest with you and see who has won the most money and tourneys over the last 12 months, but what's the point really!

AKs v's 72o 69.3% v's 30.7%

AKo v's 72o 67% v's 33%

JJ v's 72o 70.2% v 29.8%

It's not that bad really, particularily if you're raising from late position, how many times are you going to call that raise if it's significant enough?

You can make an argument for playing any two cards, simply because you're not always playing the cards, you're playing the table...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Rodge

What would you do with A 2 Amaru? Raise the hell out of it I bet.

There can only be two outcomes when you play 27 off and make sure your opponents see it,

1. You win the pot and make sure you rub it in, your opponents will more than likely tilt further than the leaning tower of pisa.

2. You lose the pot and they think you are just another fish, you'll get no respect from here on in so tighten up a little and reap the rewards.

Do you disagree?

Iago wrote:
    'm hurt by this, very hurt :( now I could get involved in a pi$$ing contest with you and see who has won the most money and tourneys over the last 12 months, but what's the point really!

For a start, you can be a bad player fundamentally and still luck out. Your winning anything means nothing to me. Secondly, it wasn't my intention to call you out, or any other such childish bull****. I made my points about what said, and i stick by it.
    Iago wrote:
    It's not that bad really, particularily if you're raising from late position, how many times are you going to call that raise if it's significant enough?

Look what you started that with? "Its not that bad". You even acknowledge that its a bad hand. In every situation you stated, its a loser! The hand is a money pit! And even playing it from the late position, there's still all types of **** that can happen to you, like check raising for instance. I prefer to muck it, and keep my chips.

Rodge wrote:
    What would you do with A 2 Amaru? Raise the hell out of it I bet.

There can only be two outcomes when you play 27 off and make sure your opponents see it,

1. You win the pot and make sure you rub it in, your opponents will more than likely tilt further than the leaning tower of pisa.

2. You lose the pot and they think you are just another fish, you'll get no respect from here on in so tighten up a little and reap the rewards.

Do you disagree?

Oh yeah, i raise the **** out of it until i can't raise anymore! I mean, in a 9 handed table whats the chance of anybody else having an A right? Right? Man please, don't make assumption about my game until you know something about me. I know all about kicker trouble, and i'm experienced enough to not suffer from it very often.

And yes i disagree, just because more often than not, you'll end up on no 2, which results in me losing chips, so like i said, i'll keep my chips.

lol, you take life far too seriously buddy!

Look, the point I'm making is simple, you don't always need the cards in order to win the hand. It's nice if you have them but you don't always need them.

As one of the other posters said, if you play textbook poker you become very predictable very quickly. on the other hand if you raise by 400 every hand whether you have AA or 72o it gives you a potential edge over your opponents, how you use that is up to yourself.

Iago wrote:
    lol, you take life far too seriously buddy!

Not life, poker. :D

And i do acknowledge your point about the cards not mattering most of the time, because its the basic rule of poker, but for me, i just can't bring myself to play 7 2, because most times its not a winner.

As for restricting the type of hands i play, yes i do do that, but its not narrow enough to put me on a hand, especially because its dependant on, like previously stated, position, stack size, and the speed of the table. There's just certain hands i avoid like the plague, the aforementioned being one of them.

Well, you were right about the thread title ... we sure had fun here with 7 2 off ! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Amaru wrote:
    I never said it wasn't. I said it makes a middle pair, as in a pair at the middle of the range. Obviously a 7 might be the highest card on the board, but how often is that?

Middle pair refers to middle pair on the flop, ie Queens on a T Q A flop.
    Amaru wrote:
    No, you can't. You can make a straight with ONE of them, but not both. Which is again what i wrote.

You said, "you cant make a straight with them". And your wrong, you can. Maybe you meant to add the disclaimer that you cant make a straight using both cards.
    Amaru wrote:
    This is true, and maybe this reflects on the type of player i am, but i can't bring myself to put money into a hand in which i have a very slim chance of winning. My chips are a commodity when i play, and if i don't think my hand can win, i'm not going to waste some of my chips on it.

You put your chips in because you think you will win the hand regardless of your fecking cards because everyone is going fold!

Advertisement