Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaking of Mixing RAM

Options
  • 10-05-2005 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

I have just got 2 X 512mbs PC3200 stick of RAM

Now my PC is running a 512 mb PC2700

What would be better. 1gb at 400mhz or 1.5gb at 266mhz

presuming of course the MB will take 3 sticks

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Depends completely on usage.

If you are using AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop or other 'Memory Intensive' apps, use the 1.5GB
    If it's for gaming, a 'Speed Intensive' use, I'd stick with the 1GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

As above, remember that it in theory will be like that, but it would be best to test the machine with both for a week each and see which you feel proforms best for you usage, I do image editing but do like the odd game, should I sacrafice the space for that odd time gaming really does depend, so try both combinations out and see. It should be as above but does not hurt to check to see if the machines spec makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

I do alot of development and Visual Studio can be a bit of a pig on the memory resources when working with a big project.
    I also have another partition which i have set up with some games, Counter-strike and Desert combat...

i have 3 slots so i put the 2 x 512 PC3200 in last night and Ran Desert combat. It Ran pretty fast seeing as the rest of the PC isn't great either.

i definitley noticed less trashing of the disk

athlon 2600
    Radeon 9200 64mb
    80gb HDD 7200 rpm

I'll try the 1gb at 400mhz and see what its like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

What processor do you have, and do you know what FSB the motherboard is running at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

What processor do you have, and do you know what FSB the motherboard is running at?

anything above a 2400xp runs at 333mhz bus speed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement