Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building computer - need help!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

A quick observation:

If your going to be using XP i would suggest a gig of ram, if you are on a tight budget go with the cheaper graphics card and add another 512 of ram. If you have a little bit of budge in your budget (no pun intended) then go with the more expensive graphics card AND another 512mb ram.

I've also heard bad things about PNY Verto cards, have a pny verto 5900xt in my old machince which never gave me problems as such but isnt the best performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

well, I was looking for a machine that would be considered a fairly good games machine (as good as €600 can get you that is).
    For the price the 6600gt seems to be the best card out there (better than radeon 9800 pro I think). I'm kind of at the limit as it is, so i dont think i can get much extra in terms of memory or cards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

For gaming, the extra 512mb would make a noticable difference. If you went with the cheaper graphics card instead of the more expensive you will save yourself 50 quid with which you could get another stick of ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

find out if the motherboard you go for already comes with a sata cable or not.

Also check your psu for the power connection for sata you might find you need to get an adapter for the 4 pin

on the ram vs graphics card go with the 6600gt. if you dont when you want to upgrade it costs you €200 minus what you can sell the cheap one for.

If you leave it at 512 of ram it costs you 50 quid to put in the extra when you get the money. might be worth borrowing the little extra to put it in at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Case+PSU?
    Network card (built into MB?)
    Modem?
    MOLEX -> SATA power adaptor?
    Monitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Don't go with socket 754 MOtherboard or CPU. Its oldish tech now... Go 939 , its more future compatible and supports dual Channel RAM. All in all its worth going for 939. Also CPU's aren't going to be made for the Socket 754 No more , Only sempron's are going to be released from now on.

HJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

HungryJoey wrote:
    Don't go with socket 754 MOtherboard or CPU. Its oldish tech now... Go 939 , its more future compatible and supports dual Channel RAM. All in all its worth going for 939. Also CPU's aren't going to be made for the Socket 754 No more , Only sempron's are going to be released from now on.

HJ.

Yeah went the 939 route also.
    The Dual channel RAM is a good buy especially with 1GByte.

The 939 is future proofed as the new dual core/FX series chips will all be 939 and it will be AMD's premiere CPU connection for a while to come.

Also ditch the 6600GT as its core is that of a 6600 with DDR3 memory.
    The 6600 vanilla's core can be easily upped to 500MHz and a slight increase in memory speed to 550MHz.
    This basically creates a 6600GT but saves you some money to invest in more RAM as 1GB of RAM will give you much more of a boost.

Advertisement