Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats...

Options
  • 10-05-2005 1:23pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody have any tips on rats...?I dont have them well I have not seen any out my back but the next door neighbour seen one yesterday out her back.I have a dog and wounder will they stay away from my back because of this...?she is a big do a Doberman so may not be able to get into small places to sniff them out,thats if they are even out my back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Dub 13,

I have the name and number of a pest control company, I haven't used their services but I can email it to you and your neighbour want to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

my girlf's family have a pet greyhound - it ripped one into shreds one day. Caught it in about 2 strides. Would've loved to have seen that! I'd say that the doberman could well keep it away - does s/he chase cats, birds, other small creatures?? maybe you can train it to get rats!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Poorly kept dog kennels, and feeding areas, are a major attraction for rats. They are known to build a nest below dog boxes, or near to feeding areas of chickens , and other pets. Unfortunately it is a well known fact, that a human being is never more than about 25 ft from a rat.

Diligence with regards to food scraps for your dog, bones ect, and general good housekeeping around your pets, will encourage your local rat population, to seek their food sources in your neighbours garden as opposed to yours.

kadman :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

"does s/he chase cats, birds, other small creatures??"

Yes...the amount of times I am woke up at night time because there is a cat on the wall.

As for the dog kennels we dont have one as the dog sleeps in the house at night.I guess I wil have to wait ontill I see one befor I take any action.

Advertisement