Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Consumption

Options
  • 10-05-2005 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know which processors use the least amount of power in a desktop pc, i.e. celerons or athlons? At the same time, which use the most power, crts or lcds? I'm interested as i'm looking to run 15 or so machines for a long time but want to keep the bills low. Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help given,
    Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

LCD's use less power then CRT's.

Mobile processors use the least amount of power.

Also, if speed isn't a big issue for you, you can underclock your processor. It should run a lot cooler (i.e. less power) but is obviously slower.

Athlon64's have a feature like this built into them. They can automatically underclock when not under load AFAIK ("cool n' quiet" or something it's called).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hmm if you really wanna save money, use 2.5" HD's, low speed memory PC2100 if you can tolerate it. Maybe have only one optical drive on the network, which is shared. Try to get as basic grapahics as possible.

LCD's use a LOT less power than CRT's

couple this with passive coolers and a mobile chip (centrino), you're laughin.

I think you can get the centrino chip in S478 form. TBH you might be better of buying cheap laptops or laptops with broken screens with external monitors.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah laptops are the way to go.

Why 15 machines ?

usually a newer faster machine uses less power per MHz than an older slower one. If you are building a number cruncher then assume they are going flat out and you can ignore all the power saving features.

Aggressive power management will save more power than the choice of AMD vs. Intel unless you get a mobile processor. - Also an unplugged machine uses 0 Watts - on standby they still use some power.

ESB costs very roughly 10c per 1000Watts per hour or 1c per 100W per hour - LIDL did some power monitoring plugs a while back - someone may have one.

Advertisement