Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimised Firefox?

Options
  • 10-05-2005 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Sorry I'm sure this was mentioned here a few months back but can't seem to find anything on it.

Wasn't there a 3rd party release of Firefox 1+ that was supposidly quicker/less of a memory hog?

Any idea? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Supposedly yes. When actually benchmarked it apparently turns out to be the same, or marginally slower. Placebo effect :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

maybe it was just a configged firefox
    type about:config in the address bar and theres a few changes you can make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I think this is the one you were looking for. Tried it myself a while back but didn't notice any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

There's also the CPU instruction-optimised Moox builds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Meh, it takes forever to compile, but I noticed that Firefox handles much better if you use the source version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Fenster wrote:
    Meh, it takes forever to compile, but I noticed that Firefox handles much better if you use the source version.

Yep, there've been dramatic improvements; the renderer is as fast as the one in Mozilla again now. You might be able to find a compiled snapshot, if you have a look..

Advertisement