Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing net connection Win to Mac

Options
  • 09-05-2005 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Hi, im looking to share a internet connection between a pc and a mac. I have a mac mini, i want to hook it up to my pc with a crossover cable, and share the internet connection my pc has via a network, is this possible ? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Yup, if you want to use software to do it, try Kerio Winroute Firewall. Its what i used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

thanks, so i put the software the mac end yeh ? its my pc that has the internet connection just to be clear ;)

Basically, you connect your Mac and PC via ethernet, and set them to the same subnet and two different IPs. (the subnet HAS to be different to the one your main net connection has). On your Mac, you set the DNS and Gateway sections to the IP of your main PC (i.e. 192.168.0.1). The ethernet settings on the main PC should just contain the IP and subnet, nothing else.

Then you install winroute on your PC, and follow the setup instructions, and it should set everything up correctly. And everything should work.

thanks but cant seem to get it working, any ideas what i should set my subnet mask to ? and my DNS is that just the router address ?

Ok, this should be it...

Mac Ethernet Card
    IP: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP: 192.168.0.1
    DNS address: 192.168.0.1

PC Ethernet Card
    IP: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Everything else: blank

Then connect the mac and PC via the crossover cable. You should try and ping them to make sure tahts working. From the PC, click on start-> Run: ping 192.168.0.2. That should give you a reply from the mac. If that doesn't work, some firewall or other is blocking lan traffic. Not sure how to ping from the mac, but ping the PC from there aswell.

Then launch Winroute, and run the config wizard, it should detect your internet and lan info correctly, set up a few default rules, and you should be flying.

If it doesn't work, disable the windows firewall, because winroute is a firewall too.

• Advertisement

the router i have is 192.168.0.1 and my pc is .3, i have the mac as .6 but the pc cant ping it, also i have no windows firewall on. do i need to adjust the kerio ip settings in control panel networks ?

Hold on a minute here... do you have a router? If so, then why not just plug your mac mini into your router? Why are you putting it through your pc?

ah cos cabling is a prob

right, well whatever the subnet of your router is, make sure the subnet of the "lan" is different. Otherwise it won't work.

The fact you can't ping the mac means theres a problem in the network itself, and until you can ping the mac, Kerio hasn't a hope of working.

Mess around with different subnets/ip's for the main PC and mac until you can get them to ping each other. try 255.255.0.0 as a subnet.

Advertisement