Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

watse disposal in sink

Options
  • 09-05-2005 7:27pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am in the US at the moment - would love to put in a waste disposal in a second sink (double sink). Can they be got at home/allowed to be put in ??

I would buy one here as I would expect them to be quite expensive at home -if available.
    I can get one here for about $150 - 1/2 hp motor

anyone have one - cost - installation - compatability ??

**add-on***
    I think I would need to connect the sink outlet directly into the 4" soil pipe as a sink outlet into a standard gulley may not work as foodstuff would sit on top of gulley water-- yes/no ??

Thx folks
    Karl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Karl,

I was tempted when I was over there, the immediate problems I saw were there pipe sizes looked different to ours and the electicity voltage is different so you would need power convertor.

The ones I was looking at averaged $3 > 400.00, not bad when coverted back to Euro but a friend of mine told me they were the among the biggest callout rate for plumbers over there.

I am sure they can be got here too, it's just I never looked for one at home.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I thought american power was all 110v

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

Take a look at the loinks below, I prob. made a hames of putting them in but you can cut and paste to your browser.

The cost ? £210 or £299 English pounds.
    I too am considering one of these, but I am also conscious of the benefits of composting the waste veg. etc. for the garden.

It would be really convenient though

http://www.insinkerator.com/http://www.insinkerator.com/
    http://www.appliances.co.uk/waste_disposal.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Kadman,

I thought the US 110 volt was okay because I wanted to buy tools and use them off the transformer.

Lucky I didn't because the amps and some other electrcal power gizmos are different to our 110 version.

Maybe a sparks will call in and explain the difference properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Used to have (an occasionally working) one in a rented flat in Dublin. I think B&Q have them, check www.diy.com and their kitchen stuff. Think someone said before the euro price is a straight conversion...

If you haven't a garden, then I can see the benefit. Otherwise Compost Bin/ Bird Table probably a better choice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi,

Insinkerators are available from most kitchen suppliers now, I think they are no more than a couple of hundred yoyo's. My brother has had one for a couple of years now and never had a problem. He puts all his food waste down it, even chicken bones.

Advertisement