Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple external hard drives solution?

Options
  • 09-05-2005 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I have a few hard drives lying about at the moment. I was wondering what would be the best way to keep them all together.

I don't really need/want a file server and I don't necessarily need to swap the disks regularly. Basically I want a case that would hold say four harddrives that I could connect to the pc using firewire usb effectively using it as a giant memory stick if you know what I mean.

Only starting my search so I'd appreciate a few suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

I just bought an external HD and a case for it from here

THis might get you on the right path although I don't think I can see a case that holds multiple drives

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Are they all the same size drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

SwampThing wrote:
    Are they all the same size drives?

Yes, they're all standard 3.5" drives.

Looking at the the links (thanks RicardoSmith) this:

http://www.mapower.com/Product.asp?CateID=16&LineID=7

is the type of thing I want. Although I think I need brackets fot the HDs to fit the 5.25" slots

Putting together a PC with an Antec Sonata case soon so I want something that is quiet (and matches colour :)).

Haven't gound any uk sites selling them yet and ebay yielded nothing but early days.

Are these my best option do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well you could RAID them. I think you can RAID on Firewire too. You could put them in seperate enclosues and use a USB hub or just daisy chain SCSI or FW. The power cables would be messy. If your not going to move it a lot then one of these multi bay units is probably the best route. Tidier. Dunno about quiet though. These things are usually designed for server rooms and cooling is the priority.

http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1425

Searched for "Multibay enclosures UK"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

cosgrove80 wrote:
    I don't necessarily need to swap the disks regularly.
    Would that mean you could just buy a regular enclosure but leave it open, whenever you want to change disks just unplug the enclosure from your PC, stick in the other disk and hook it back up ?

What is this "search" you speak of? :o . Thanks

Would that mean you could just buy a regular enclosure but leave it open, whenever you want to change disks just unplug the enclosure from your PC, stick in the other disk and hook it back up ?

That would be one way of doing it. When I said I wouldn't be swapping them regularly I meant I wouldn't need those hotswappale harddrive brackets. Will just be leaving them in the casing not taking them out or bringing them anywhere.

Basically I have 2 HDs sitting on the desk and I want to put them in something. I'm starting After Effects work so I want lots of storage.

Looking at it I guss the cheapest/easiest way would be to buy two or three single enclosures and just swap the cable around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

usb hub > connect them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

kaimera wrote:
    usb hub > connect them all.

Thats what I do.

Maplins also do a cable that connects IDE to USB2 directly. No enclosure nothing. You just use a bare drive. Can't find a link to it at the moment.

USB hub is probably the way to go alright. I just want to keep cables to a minimum but I guess you can't have everything
    Thats what I do.

Maplins also do a cable that connects IDE to USB2 directly. No enclosure nothing. You just use a bare drive. Can't find a link to it at the moment.

If you just use a bare drive how do you keep it safe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

and power it ?

Advertisement