Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing my mp3s online

Options
  • 09-05-2005 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

(may not belong here)

Today is a sad day. My company has cracked down on all "illegal" music playing. You're not allowed to store mp3s on your hardrive, nor play copied CDs in the CD drives.

So basically, I'm musicless. :(

I have a bunch of mp3s at home (mostly legal ;)) and an always on broadband connection. Is there anything you can do with these 2 bits of information to give me back my music?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

corblimey wrote:
    (mostly legal ;))

Tired of reiterating myself.

1 day ban. PM me for your unbanning on Wednesday morning.

edit: sticky link

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Khannie wrote:
    Tired of reiterating myself.

1 day ban. PM me for your unbanning on Wednesday morning.

edit: sticky link

Couldn’t agree more with you Khannie, absolutely no post’s containing links or info to illegal sites should be allowed.

But I think the original poster just wants to listen to some music, there are loads of unsigned bands who release there music free (mp3 of other format) just to get it out there to see what people think. Plus there are loads of online radio stations maybe he could listen to one of them.

Just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

well the original poster DID say he had illegal mp3's... or at least implied it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

internet radio

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Powerbook

The way I see it, you want to stream or access your workstation at home from where you are at work. This is near impossible if you don't have a non-natted ip meaning you need a static public ip. Otherwise you won't be able to access your workstation. Basically if you can't traceroute or ping it you can't access it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Just in case there is anyone wondering how you do this... Best thing to do is set up a private FTP using a program like "GuildFTPd" (Very easy to use). Then, if you have a dynamic IP, sign up for a dyndns account or some such free service, and access the FTP through the dyndns IP (which will look something like ftp://myhomecomputer.dyndns.org) and just download what you need when you're listening to it, and delete it afterwards.

Or you could do the same, except instead of using an FTP server, use Icecast (i think its called) and set up your own private web-radio station. Slightly more complex, harder to control what you're going to play next (i think) but means the mp3's are never actually on your work computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭leche solara

What about saving the files into a Yahoo Briefcase and playing them from there without downloading them to the work machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

What about following the link of the second poster. installing orb on your home machine, and streaming to any device with an internet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Fibonacci wrote:
    What about following the link of the second poster. installing orb on your home machine, and streaming to any device with an internet connection.

Yes that second poster has the idea ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

jessy wrote:
    But I think the original poster just wants to listen to some music, there are loads of unsigned bands who release there music free (mp3 of other format) just to get it out there to see what people think. Plus there are loads of online radio stations maybe he could listen to one of them.

Yeah....I do my best to assume that people are talking about legal stuff, but as mutant pointed out, he did make it pretty obvious that he wanted help to stream illegal mp3's and I just can't have that tbh. :)

All that aside...fibonacci's got it right for web streaming. That or a private web server.... Personally if work screwed me like that (they may one day), I'd burn stuff to a blank dvd or two to avoid the wrath of the IT people looking over web logs, but that's just me.

I used to have the guts of my cd collection in work, but you get cheesed off switching discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

the shoutcast plugin for winamp is easy to setup, queue ur music, play, away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'd just like to share my love for orb.com. Free and easy, and now I can listen uninterrupted to my frankly embarrassing playlist in work.

Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Why do you have to use the work PC and their bandwidth at all?

Buy a Mp3 player, Sony, iPod or iRiver etc.

Advertisement