Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best DVD-/+R brand?

Options
  • 09-05-2005 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

What brand do you use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I like Datawrite Grey Disks.

I am currently using Datawrite Titanium Disks
    8x DVD-R

Very good

Not one has screwed up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

I'm using That's Write DVD+R, the cheapo ones from Komplett, I've no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i don't really see much change from brand to brand everything seems to work all the time maybe high quality video or something would be more demanding but thats not my scene anyway so

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

I dont want to open up a can of worms here, but is there much of a difference between +R and -R media these days? I know there was a lot of hype a while back, but are there still compatibility issues now? Im only in the process of getting a burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I dont think there is much difference.

I only go for -R due to the fact that they are usually
    slightly cheaper and there is a bigger selection IMO.

I dont care which one I buy to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Speed, and price per disc are what you should look for. I get Datawrite Yellow(V2) DVD-R. I can burn them @ 4 speed. As my DVD player can only burn DVD-R @ 4 speed, its all good.

=-=

If you look @ http://www.mediawrite.ie you'll see that there's not much difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tony H

kazzer if you are going to buy a dvd burner you should check out the cdfreaks forum first
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Whatever you do DO NOT buy datawrite red discs - they are crap to say the least. Datawrite Yellow - top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Data writes yellow i do like.
    Peats had some god awful green 4X +R bulpaks that i had the mis fortune of buying. 4/4 coasters before i bought them back.
    I was told i should spend more on discs by the assistant. WTF is the point of seeling them if they are ****e. And it's not my burner, i've done over 250 discs in it without a coaster, NEC 3500A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

datawrite DVD+R's are good, Datawrite DVD-R's are a pile of crap. I've used both, perfect bruns with the DVD+R's. and nearly all the -R's corrupted within a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

datawrite DVD+R's are good, Datawrite DVD-R's are a pile of crap. I've used both, perfect bruns with the DVD+R's. and nearly all the -R's corrupted within a few weeks.

I've tried various brands but now I only use Datawrite Titanium Gray -R's - absolutely flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Data writes yellow i do like.
    Peats had some god awful green 4X +R bulpaks that i had the mis fortune of buying. 4/4 coasters before i bought them back.
    I was told i should spend more on discs by the assistant. WTF is the point of seeling them if they are ****e. And it's not my burner, i've done over 250 discs in it without a coaster, NEC 3500A
    I've burned a few hundred of them without any problems. Must have been just a dodgy pack. Can't believe the assistant actually said that.

I've recently switched to Benq. Spindle of 25 8x for €13.20 in IT Direct. No problems so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Verbatim enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

1) DVD+R is a newer standard than DVD-R and is the format that has the industry heavyweights behind it i.e. HP, Philips, SONY, Pioneer etc.

2) DVD+R and DVD+RW can be read on all but the oldest DVD Players, DVD Burners and games consoles without a problem and often outperform even the best DVD-R discs.

3) Market research show that DVD+R format is expected to overtake DVD-R production in the next year and it's already the format of choice in Western Europe (Germany, Scandanavia, Benelux) with over 60% of discs sold being the DVD+R format.

4) DVD+R video performance is generally better than DVD-R with faster chapter skipping, more consistent performance with better error handling. This stringent quality is built on technological advancements of it's creator, Philips - the inventor of the CD. As only the largest manufacturers are licensed by Philips to make it, the quality of DVD+R tends to be much better than that of DVD-R.

5) DVD+R discs will burn at the rated speed without generally any changes required to the firmware. As only the top manufacturers are making the majority of the world's output of DVD+R, compatability is guaranteed on almost all new NEC's, Pioneers, SONY, Lite On's etc.

6) Almost all the major drive manufacturers support +R and if you have bought a drive in the last 2 years, chances are your burner will support +R.

7) DVD+R disc are no more expensive than DVD-R discs and in some cases are even better value. Discs such as the Ridisc 4X DVD+R (Ricoh code) can quite happily burn at 8X without any drop of quality. 8X DVD+R Discs such as the Datawrite/Datasafe/Bulkpaq/Titanium (MCC/prodisc dye) can quite happily burn at 12X which offers incredibly "bang for the buck".

8) Forever at the forefront of technology, Philips - inventor of DVD+R - has championed DVD+R as the replacement to CD-R. This is why DVD+R was the format that was first to market 16X, Dual Layer, 8x Rewritable discs and soon 16X DVD+RW.

9) DVD+R/DVD+RW discs are now fast becoming the standard for set top DVD recorders from the likes of SONY, Philips etc. DVD+R W is slated to be the replacement for the VHS tape.

also i've just bought this burner from kompleet NEC ND-3520A http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=305762&cks=SPK and it's top notch

i'm using hi-space dvd+r could be better..42 euros for 100 from england

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have used mostly Bulkpaq Orange 4x -R's with no problems whatsoever (on a NEC2500A).

I have a new spindle of Datawrite Grey 8x -R which I haven't got around to using, but they're supposed to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I only use Datawrite Titanium Gray. Have Datawrite red and Bulkpaq orange which are crap, they burn what you want to burn but the quality of the movie and just skips while playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

I'm using Datawrite Classic 8X (Yellow) which have the Mitsubishi dye...awesome quality disks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

LIDL Octron, have had no problems, cheap too

Advertisement