Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

architecture salvage yards

Options
  • 09-05-2005 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi I am looking to find a salvage yard in Ireland.

I am looking for old sofas, dining tables and chairs....

Does anyone know of any?

Thanks Tara

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Are you so busy that you can't look up the golden pages. What kind of time management person can you be if this is your first port of call rather than doing a searching yourself. ;)

http://www.goldenpages.ie/Results.asp?origin=NEW&rubric=select&what=architecture%20salvage&where=

There you go do I get a commision? It sounds like I could do your job :D

So you know architecture salvage is generally the dealing of reclaimed building materials and fixtures. As such they don't deal with furniture you need to go to antique shops for that stuff. I recommend the weekly auctions. Many of such stores deal in particular styles you need to be a little clearer on what you want. I am guess this is for clients. I sometimes deal in retro furniture in a eames/sci-fi style. Currently got two chairs like these
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6519341097&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Not everybody's style but can be difficult to get here and becoming more popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 taradalr

hi no this is for me. The salvage industry is not very good compared to back home in the UK...

Things seems overpriced, and have limited availability.

But thanks for the info, I had alreayd cheked that all out.

So perhaps you can not do my job!

Tara

taradalr wrote:
    hi no this is for me. The salvage industry is not very good compared to back home in the UK...

Things seems overpriced, and have limited availability.

But thanks for the info, I had alreayd cheked that all out.

So perhaps you can not do my job!

Tara

It is very different here so I guess it is fair to say it is not as good. A lot of junk shops are where you get theses types of things. Ireland was also extremely poor for a long time and had a much smaller population than the UK. We simply don't have as much of this type of stuff. So items are priced due to the limited supply and as such not overpriced just more expensive compared to the UK. It can be cheaper to import from other countries. There are quite a few companies that travel back and forth to mainland Europe and the UK. Ebay is actually your best bet with limited time. Did you find the places that do the auctions there are two weekly ones in Dublin I know of and I am sure there are more?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

i have a dining table and chairs (4) if interested :)
    only two years old but cheap as i want rid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

If you are looking for cheap functional furniture to start your house / apartment with, try Fred's Fashions on the North Circular Rd Phibsboro, and don't forget to haggle on the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

taradalr wrote:
    Hi I am looking to find a salvage yard in Ireland.

I am looking for old sofas, dining tables and chairs....

Does anyone know of any?

Thanks Tara

There's a regular auction at the Galway shopping Centre, iirc.
    I thought it was once a month.
    Loads of furniture there when i had a look.
    Entrance is on the...if your looking directly down on the shopping centre, it'd be the southern most side.

Somebody else posted this on another link but I think this is right

http://www.salvoweb.com/Ireland-Rep./index.html

It looks like it is exactly what you want

I have antigue dinining table and 6 chairs made of Irish oak if you are interested.

Advertisement