Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic shutdown

Options
  • 09-05-2005 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi Guy's

I have this horrible habit of leaving a shared workstation running overnight in work and i trying to schedule an automatic shutdown so far it has failed when i try run shutdown.exe -f in the scheduled jobs wizard

the main problem is that it fails due to applications running and wont shutdown,

i got round that by running a "taskkill" by username and then "shutdown -f" in a bat file but the shutdown part never run's (suspect cos i have killed the dos session)

any ideas on how to auto shutdown including forcing the app to close with out the usual windows "end now" or "cancel" option's popping up

any help would be greatly appreciated

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What about
    shutdown -s -f -t 00

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

or this nice little freeware app that I use to do exactly the same thing. will run as a service too, so will work regardless of if anyone is lgged in or not.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/195837.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

SHUTDOWN -s -t 00

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

tried the shutdown -f -s -t 00 but doesnt work and also SHUTDOWN -s -t 00
    doesnt work

and to throw another spanner in the works we cant install any sofware on the machines only the ones from the authorised site "bla security policy bla"

Case closed guy's

ran the scheduled job with the above switches and it works...
    thanks

funky thing was that it wouldnt work if i ran it throught a batch file ah well i learn another lesson on the long and winding road to understanding windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it works as a non-installed executable if that's any help. you can just stick it on the desktop and put it in the startup items if you don'twantt o actually install it.

vibe666 wrote:
    it works as a non-installed executable if that's any help. you can just stick it on the desktop and put it in the startup items if you don'twantt o actually install it.

cool thas handy to know another app added to my list so...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

i use pstools - http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml

to knock off any computers left on on my network overnight, has some great process inspection as well

You'd just need to add the installed directory to your PATH to allow usage regardless of location

Advertisement