Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring traffic

Options
  • 09-05-2005 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

Allo,

I've a box currently setup with Debian, It's currently being used primarily as a mail server. One thing I dont know how to do and want to is monitor traffic primarily mail traffic, ie mail coming in and going out, this would include bandwidth and actual mail quantity being sent and received.
    This isnt a company or anything, its a personal box.

Anyone any recommendations or direction on what I can do to set this up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

The easiest is probably to find some way of processing the logs from your mail server, which should include number of e-mails, number of delivery attempts and the size of those e-mails. MRTG is ideal for this graphing this sort of thing, and with any luck somebody may have already written the scripts necessary for MRTG to analyse your logs. If you want to measure numbers of packets and that sort of thing, that's a bit more awkward (and probably not much more useful).

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Thanks for that,

I managed to find this http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/08/12/mailgraph.html

and it does the job nicely.

Advertisement