Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encoding question

Options
  • 09-05-2005 8:51am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So....I bought the eels new album last week. Class. It's called "blinking lights and other revelations".

Anyway.....I'm trying to rip it for my own listening and my file type of choice is ogg.....

I've heard of "codec killers" before, but I've noticed a problem with two tracks in particular (so far): Disc1, track 10 ("the other shoe") and disc 2, track 4, ("hey man, now you're really living"). It hits a certain point in the song where there's a lot going on and it sounds like there's interference. I tried using cdex's built in lame support to rip to mp3 and that sounds fine.

Could someone else who has the album and rips to ogg try this for me? I've tried higher sample rates (48KHz) and higher bit rates.

I've always found ogg to be an excellent codec and the ogg rip sounds noticeably better to me than the mp3 one (though it is at a slightly higher bit rate) apart from this problem.

If you're going to try this out: Try disc 1, track ten. About 1m 7s in is where it happens for me. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

attached a 4 second snippet to illustrate...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

can you not convert it to some other losless format and then to ogg?

The vorbis ogg encoder only converts from .wav file. I'm not aware of any other (non-vorbis) ogg encoders. I /think/ it's to do with the codec though, rather than the method of encoding. I'm just looking for a way around it if anyone knows one.

I'm listening to a high quality MP3 rip of the same song, and it sounds fine. :(

edit: I'm pretty sure there are lots of MP3 "codec killers".....but there are lots of encoders out there giving various levels of quality.

Ok.....this is starting to freak me out.....

Encoded at 500kbps @ 48KHz in ogg....interference still there
    extracted to wav file....interference still there :confused:
    Encoded as MP3 but turned off "on the fly encoding".....interference gone.....
    Turned off "delete wav file" from mp3 encoding.....interference still there in wav file, but not in MP3!?!?!?!

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Could someone please check out the zip file below and see if they hear it?
    It could be a hardware thing that the mp3 lossyness is compensating for, but ogg isn't.

edit: that's the problem (last line). Checked it on a different machine and it sounds fine. Weird.

Here's a link to some "codec killer" stuff though. They really do exist.

http://ff123.net/daughter.html

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5414121.html

Advertisement