Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange phenomenon!

Options
  • 08-05-2005 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I have been involved in athletics as both a coach and an official for the last 20 years or so and have coached athletes at both juvenile and senior levels. The one thing I've always found was the lack of any aggro in the sport of athletics, compared to say football. For example, at times I've shared training facilities with football teams and these sessions have been peppered by agressive and foul language from both coaches and players. I've been at the odd juvenile soccer match and you should hear some of the parents! This is something I've NEVER heard in my dealings with athletes. The athletes themselves; their supporters at meets, other coaches etc. can follow athletics without their ears being assailed by foul and threatening language. It, therefore, surprises me all the more to read the foul mouthed and aggressive language used by contributors to some athletic boards. Does anyone else feel this to be a strange phenomenon.?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

When you put it like that it does seem very strange. My experience of forums would suggest that it probably just grew out of one unchecked forum that attracted a group of offenders which then lead to a culture of abuse amongst others. That's just a guess though.

Hopefully this forum is more to your tastes, getting away from the junk on other boards was why I created it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I do find this also, and unfortunately I know most of the members of the other boards, and also, alot of soccer forums are very civilised. The advantages of moderated boards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

It says it all when now there is only 2 boards on Shercock ACs board rankings due to the abuse on others

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

I was known to curse long and hard at both myself, my coach and my training partners on completion of harder sessions back in my day

Advertisement