Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too hot?

Options
  • 08-05-2005 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

specs:
    athlon xp 2800+
    1gb pc2700 ddr
    ati radeon 9800 pro
    360 watt psu

my pc runs at an average 66-67 degrees with the side panels off. if i put them on it goes up to 75 and sometimes the mobo temperature safety thing automatically shuts it down. how can i stop this or is it ok to run at that temp?

the cpu fan i have is designed for a 3000+ and i have 2 80mm case fans, one at the front blowing air in and the other at the back blowing out.
    ive replaced the original cpu fan to see if it would fix the problem so its not a faulty fan.

i have to have my window open all the time. its freezing in here :(

while i'm at it my psu gave out last week and i got another one. now it occasionally just switches off and won't turn on for about ten mins. any ideas?
    and i've seen 6 ppl with dodgy psus in the last week and i've been working on a theory that there's something up with the mains power. anyone else had psu problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

that is rediculously hot! You need to apply themal paste to your CPU. There is something NOT right there! You should really be maxing out at about 62Celcius at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

That sounds strange. What i would do is take of your heatsink and then reset it again. Maybe you dont have any contact with your heatsink and your cpu. When the cpu is at 70c touch your heatsink and c if its hot ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

That's very wrong. Ive a 3200 AMD 64 with a 560W PSU and 1 GB PC3200 Ram yet the highest its ever gone on my system is 37C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

the athlon xp do run a lot hotter than the athlon 64

my old athlon xp 1900, got up to 60 degrees and averaged at about 58

you should be able to keep temp under 60 with proper ventilation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

There would be a number of ways to decrease the tempreture. Add more Heatsink fans to lower the tempreture. Add more thermal paste to the base of the processor heatsink. Replace the heatsink with a more advanced heatsink. Or even replace the outer casing. The alien shape one that they sell in Maplin is a good model. Multiple ports for firewire, USB and has Two heatsink fans as standard with another 2 available slots for an extra 2 Fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Some Athlon XPs were hot, mainly the Palominos (early models up to 2100+) but not really the Bartons.Even Pallys were sub 50 degrees with any kind of decent cooler.
    There must be bad contact with the heatsink or something like that, because there is no way a 2800 should be hitting 75 degrees otherwise. I've got a 3200 XP that never passes 34-35 no matter how much load I put on it, so clearly something is not right with your 2800 and I suspect it's the contact with the heatsink(although there must be some bit of contact because the cpu would die within fractions of a second otherwise, AthlonXP has no overheating protection, if the heatsink isn't there it just burns out). Have you got anything like Arctic Silver paste between the core and the heatsink, also what make/model of heatsink are you using because the stock HSF that comes with these cpus is pretty poor?

My 1800+ palomino doesn't get above 65C ever. If i don't do anything intensive its generally about 55C.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

If you caked on the thermal compound it may be effecting the conductivity. More is less. Even spread with lowest amount on the chip for closest contact.Are you alarms down too low and are the readings accurate.Sounds very funny?

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭smorton

i think it is accurate cos the heatsink is too hot to touch when the program says its hot. i haven't caked on the thermal compund. only just enough to cover the contact point between the cpu and the fan. im just about to reapply it anyway just in case. i doubt its a problem with the case since both side panels are off and its at 66C right now. i'll let you all know how it went

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I have an AMD 2100+ and it runs at a blistering 76 degrees celcius while gaming!! :o

Out rageous - I know!
    I've had my case sides off for about 6 months now because of it.

Anyway - I've only just bought one of these beauts, and my gaming temp is now 66 (MAX is 67) and my idle is ~60.
    So much better :)

12010070.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

zoro wrote:
    I've had my case sides off for about 6 months now because of it.

Keeping the side on helps promote airflow through the case in most instances.

At least...if you've put any thought into the airflow that is. :)

When I take my side off, it actually increases the CPU's temperature (though not the ambient inside the case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Holy **** those degrees are unbelievable!! It sounds like there is too much paste on your cpu. Just a few suggestions

Make sure clean off your cpu and heatsink with pure alcohol and I hope you got rid of that awful bonding strip that comes attached to most heatsinks, then buy some artic silver and put a pea size amount on the cpu core and spread with a plastic card.
    If your temp does not drop I think you need to invest in a better heatsink\fan preferably copper based

Oh by the way what heatsink are you using?

To be honest, anything averaging over 65 is hot. Anything over 70 is what i'd call dangerously hot. 85 is the max operating temp on the XP2600's, so if you're getting up to 75 you're really getting close to that limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've a dual 2800mp with a total of 8 fans to keep it cool. Temp stays around 52. But it is damn noisy.

I also built a shuttle type pc with an amd xp3000 that puches up to 76 deg all the time - need to sand the chip on that and reverse the cpu fan to get that down.

deffo sounds like a bad thermal connection - have you used artic silver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I also built a shuttle type pc with an amd xp3000 that puches up to 76 deg all the time - need to sand the chip on that and reverse the cpu fan to get that down.

deffo sounds like a bad thermal connection - have you used artic silver?

running a socket 939 3500+ whinny in a shuttle box and the max i have seen the cpu go to is 50 degrees.

No way in hell you should be getting those temps.

What model shuttle you using?

Khannie wrote:
    Keeping the side on helps promote airflow through the case in most instances.

At least...if you've put any thought into the airflow that is. :)

When I take my side off, it actually increases the CPU's temperature (though not the ambient inside the case).
    I found that too Khannie - however it eventually just got to a point where sides off == cooler :/

Really did annoy me too - and the PSU itself is a pretty warm mofo too. The air coming from the PSU is horribly warm, but the air coming from the case (above the CPU) is a constant less-than-luke-warm temperature.
    With the new case there's also alot more space between my overheating PSU and my CPU HSF so that's probably making a huge difference too.

I'm waiting for a new PSU - should be here in a week or 2, along with some round IDE cables - so I'll hopefully have some superb air flow soon enough!

On top of that, I'll have some thermal paste and I'll be re-seating my HSF just in case

New PSU arrived today (so much for 2 weeks eh? :))
    All figures are for my new case

My Old PSU:
    CPU (idle) - ~60/62
    Case (idle) - ~30

My Old PSU:
    CPU (after gaming) - ~66
    Case (after gaming) - ~33

My New PSU:
    CPU (idle) - ~58/59
    Case (idle) - ~25

My Old PSU:
    CPU (after gaming) - ~63
    Case (after gaming) - ~28/29

Not MASSIVE differences - but defintely noticeable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭smorton

i unscrewed my psu and hooked it up while it was sitting on the case and the cables where going thru the hole. still overheated with the sides on so its not that.

the other day i replaced all components from my pc with my dads except the psu on the basis that his case is much bigger and has a fan on the top, so better airflow*. got it down to 52 with the side panels on.
    mbm5 then said my dad's cpu was 114C in my case. i nearly crapped meself and switched it all back. i hope mbm was wrong. mite just get a new case. i have to spend money :eek:

*shows what you'll do when your supposed to be studying

smorton wrote:
    *shows what you'll do when your supposed to be studying
    tell me about it ;)

Advertisement