Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China?

Options
  • 08-05-2005 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

hey,

I was just wondering if anyone is considering investing in the chinese stock market. The US Dollar seems to be going down the tubes without any signs of coming back while china seems to be on the up and up. Just wondering if there is a good way to take advantage of this with stocks or other investments?

regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

I think one problem with chinese companies is the law over there. I heard a statistic that a huge number of companies don't do their accounts properly. I can't remember the exact figure. You don't really know what you're buying into.

Anyway maybe someone with more knowledge in this area can give you a better answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Business in China with companies yes. Buy from them, they are an excellent source of new products to bring into the Irish Marketplace, but you will need a contact over there to ensure that the products ever actually get you, caveat emptor and all that.

The Chinese Stockmarket? Not with a 10 foot barge pole mate. Their currency is still pegged to the dollar at the moment, and that is looking like it might change (pure speculation, been articles about it in the WSJ recently iirc). It's economy is delicate at best, and you will have a lot of trouble finding reliable info on a company without having contacts over there.

Advice: Stick to the established markets imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

definately one for the future though. China WILL be the next superpower economically, simply because of the huge amount of cheap labour at hand and the great chinese work ethic, although there is supposed to be a huge amount of red tape and as nesf said the books are most often then not cooked!

But if i had a bit of money to spare that for me would be the first port of call. The next, mircosoft, dell is going to be from china.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Excellent link provided by thebusinessshop.

http://www.irelandchina.org

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

regarding shares in China - the Hong Kong listed versions of the mainland shares are reasonably well regulated. Don't think you can buy the mainland shares in any case.

You could pseudo-invest in china by investing in the things that will do good if china continues to do good (i.e. as we have seen with commodity prices in the last few years). That was what The Economist was recommending in their recent report on China.

Oh, and don't even think about touching the bank shares - China still has some very hefty Japan-like bad-debt probs in that area...

• Advertisement
Advertisement