Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitz Tonight €50 Scalps ~ Spot the idiot

Options
  • 07-05-2005 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

[RANT]
    I just spent 3.5 hours of my life that I'll never get back at this tournament. I moved from Table 1 to Table 7, Table 7 to Table 5, Table 5 upstairs to Table 5 downstairs, Table 5 downstairs to Table 2 and during the course of this 3.5 hours and 4 table moves I managed to see 6 flops in total. I played patiently, slowly and stole a couple of blinds here and there and managed to work myself back up to about 9K when TT and then AQ held up in quick succession.

After all this you'd think I'd relax again and wait for my chance, but oh no I had a much better idea, sitting in the SB I have AcJs, blinds at 300-600 and two limpers with the big blind when it comes around to me.

Instead of flat calling or min raising I raise to 3K (not a huge mistake, I didn't want a caller, but unfortunately it was close to 40% of my stack so I had pretty much committed myself..kind of)..One of the limpers calls..

Flop comes down Kd Qh 4s, without hesitation I strap on my armour, saddle up my horse and like the infamous light brigade go charging down the canyon pushing my chips ahead of me..in my case the cannons at the end of the canyon were represented by Kh Jh and with no help on the turn or river I went out and away home to write this rant.

Talk about your basic novice mistakes
    1. Over-raise preflop; I can kind of forgive myself this as I was really hoping that the three of them would fold and I had a reasonable hand. I should really have either flat called and bet big on the flop if I hit, or gone all-in and forced a real decision.

2. Pushing all-in almost as soon as the flop landed, talk about painting your hand on your forehead. ok, if he didn't have that king he'd probably have folded, but realistically he was quite likely to have a K or Q in which case he wasn't throwing the hand away..

As soon as I got home my nose started bleeding, I think I broke my brain..either that or it's just given up on me altogether.. [/RANT]

On the plus side I'll get an early night, although I'll be picturing that hand over and over, at least until the next game anyway. It's good to talk..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

If you're going to raise preflop then 3K is a good number from where you are, it's exactly the pot raise and it's putting a question to the people. I'd be inclined to say you shouldn't raise at all, first to act in a pot like this is a serious disadvantage, even if you hit your Ace. As to the move on the flop, I don't know - depends on your players, but it's unpleasant out of position.

Advertisement