Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Azureus is hurting my pc

Options
  • 06-05-2005 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Hey,

This only started happening today but Azureus keeps taking up to 98% of my cpu usage and lagging me out. I end up having to end task the "javaw.exe" to restore my system.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm running multiple file sharing programs, I wonder if that could be it. Also I got a new firewall (Sygate one) recently but that hasn't caused any problems with anything else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have you upgraded Az and Java?

Java 1.5

Az 2.30

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Yeah im having the same problem but it seems to only happen
    when i mess around with the upload speed.

If i limit the program with Netlimiter, then it goes to 99% usage until
    i unlimit it and use the internal thing in Az.

It also went crazy (100% CPU followed by crash) when i tinkered
    around with the number of peers you can connect to.
    Its normally 500 total with a limit of 80 peers per torrent.
    hehe i set that to unlimited.....the outcome was tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

http://url.ie/84

Some firewalls seem to cause problems, but sygate is on the recommended list... Try a different firewall if the problem persists after reinstalling java and azureus from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Noticed it in work.. does not bother me too much as i mostly leave it running over night and check up on it by VPN ing at night to the PC and use VNC to check out downloads and update anything i need to. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Cheers lads, updating Java seems to have fixed the problem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I have the same problem, I've uninstalled Java and installed the new version and it's still causing me problems! I've also uninstalled Azureus and re-installed it and the javaw.exe is eating 100& CPU usage on me after about 5 minutes of starting it up.
    Any suggestions on how I might solve this?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Was gonna post a thread about this earlier...
    Az updated itself a few days ago, and has been causing annoyance ever since.
    High CPU usage (mouse lag, stuttering, etc).
    Latest JRE installed since 2 weeks back so I don't think it's that...also have a NAT error that I can't get rid of by any amount of port opening and forwarding.
    D/l speeds are crap...really crap (I know this is due to NAT error) but my upload speeds are a lot higher than they ever were with v2.2.0

I haven't tried reinstalls of JRE1.5 or Az yet, as I'm afraid of loosing a half d/led 5gb file. I'm strongly considering rollig back to v2.2.0 ....lot of torrent forums out there that are full of people with problems with 2.3.0.0

Anyone any thoughts on the NAT error? Nothing's changed about my set-up apart from update...

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Top of page Common Errors.

kdjac

I've done what it recommended to do when there's 100% CPU usage. And what is NOD32?

stephen p wrote:
    I've done what it recommended to do when there's 100% CPU usage. And what is NOD32?

Anti virus s/w

Hmm...I've uninstalled JRE 1.5....whilst doing so it told me I had Az running (I didn't and checked tskmgr to be sure; nothing)
    strange...

• Advertisement

Wipe it and get the full 2.3 and 1.5 and try it that way.

kdjac

Aye, just in the middle of d/ling them....happen to know if I'll loose my active torrents?

I did a search for the javaw.exe file on my pc and it came up with a few results, and it was located in different folders, so I deleted the file out of every folder except the latest java folder, I'm monitoring the CPU usage now, so far so good.

Your active torrents will be fine. Just make a backup copy of the actual torrent files, and then remove Azureus and Java.

Then, install azureus again from the windows installer, which will auto-download the right version of Java.

Then just re-add the torrent files, and save them in the same place you choose to save them previously, and they'll continue as per normal.

Try reading the following link too: http://url.ie/84

Alright that seems to have sorted out my NAT problems, but the low d/l and high upload figures remain...could possibly be the torrent, but I'm only 300mb of 5gb into it and there's ~20 peers...should definitely be getting a lot more than 10kbit down when I'm pumping 15+ kbit up, especially on a 2mbit connection....at least I always did with the old version. I can see bandwidth limits being breached a lot sooner this way :mad:

Just a quick pointer about how BT works...

Firstly, you have to be able to supply each person you're uploading to with about 2kB/sec. Otherwise they can "snub" you, meaning they won't upload to you because you don't upload to them.

Secondly, the more people you DO upload to, the more they'll upload to you. So 20 upload slots at 3kB each is better than 5 slots at 15kB each.

Thirdly, if you saturate your upload speed, then your download speed will suffer hugely. If your maximum upload is about 15kB/sec, then limit your upload speed to 12kB/sec (maybe a tad less) and open 6 upload slots.

That might help.

Thx for that Mutant_Fruit...seems to have made things a little faster on the d/l...still not as fast as v2.2.0 but like I said it might just be the torrent.
    I went looking for some info on optimal settings and found some good advice from this link:
    http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/OptimiseSpeed

What was of particular interest was the bit about leaving u/l and d/l limits at 66% of your bandwidth totals...I can now comfortably browse while torrents run...ok it's like 56k but a very big improvement on how it used to be.
    he also links to a traffic shaping prog...might give that a trial run later...

I'm still having serious problem with Az. I've uninstalled Java again and then let Az install it for with the Windows Installer. After about 5-10mins running Az the CPU usage for javaw.exe goes up to 100%. I don't have Nod32, so thats not the problem. Would settings in my Norton Firewall have anything to do with it?
    It's doing my head in at this stage cos I've done everything I was meant to.

I assume you have ports 6881-6999 opened/forwarded on the firewall? Check for anything else running that is spiking your CPU. I Know these are obvious but it's an easy oversight. Apart from that....I got nuthin'

How do check to see if the ports are opened on norton firewall 2004?

• Advertisement

Hmmm...not too sure (I have hardware firewall) but trying a NAT test in Az should tell you if 6881 (or whatever your default port is set to) is open or not.
    You could try temporarily disabling the firewall and see if that stops the CPU spkiking...if it does then that;'s likely your problem...

I've disabled Norton Firewall. I noticed this aswell yesterday...under the tracker status for a coupe of torrents it says "port 6881 is blacklisted", but when I test port 6881 it says its OK!
    So far Az is ok, fingers crossed. Is it normal for the Mem usage for javaw.exe to be up around 75,000 and increasing all the time??

spoke too soon, CPU usage went back up to 100% after I posted that last thread. :mad:

stephen p wrote:
    I've disabled Norton Firewall. I noticed this aswell yesterday...under the tracker status for a coupe of torrents it says "port 6881 is blacklisted", but when I test port 6881 it says its OK!
    So far Az is ok, fingers crossed. Is it normal for the Mem usage for javaw.exe to be up around 75,000 and increasing all the time??

Since 6881 is the default port some ISPs block it to stop BT downloads clogging their network. Nothing you can do about that that I know of. Try setting your default port range from 16881-16999 instead (in az).
    The fact that the test says it's ok means your firewall is configured right.

As for the java thing, I have no clue. Make sure you've not got 2 versions of java running( I had lol). Is it only when az is running that you get this spiking? What speed is your cpu?

Wertz wrote:
    Since 6881 is the default port some ISPs block it to stop BT downloads clogging their network. Nothing you can do about that that I know of. Try setting your default port range from 16881-16999 instead (in az).
    The fact that the test says it's ok means your firewall is configured right.

As for the java thing, I have no clue. Make sure you've not got 2 versions of java running( I had lol). Is it only when az is running that you get this spiking? What speed is your cpu?

No I haven't got 2 versions of Java running, I uninstalled any java I had on my pc before installing the latest one.
    Yea it is only when I run az I get this 100% CPU usage. My processor is 2.4gHz and 512MB RAM so I doubt seriously its anything to do with those.

How do u set the default port range within az?

By the look of things here I'm not the only one with the same problem... :confused:

Tools>Options>Connections...first box, put a 1 in front and hit Save. It may help...it may not.

For the record my d/ls are crap again, better than earlier but crap nonetheless...one of the 3 I have running right now is giving me ~1kib even though my u/l on it is set to 2.3kib. The torrent has 20+ seeds and 40+ peers and has a green light >.<

I'm gonna give it another hour or two and then it's back to good old 2.2.0.0
    I'm thinking this new distributed d/b is something to do with it.

Mine currently at 220 kb only 1 torrent left.

Hasnt moved from 220 all day.

kdjac

Rub it in why dontcha :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement