Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus Hell!

Options
  • 06-05-2005 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi people this is my first visit to boards and i need urgent help with regard to viruses,
    My pc at the moment is quiet riddled with them,
    I have broadband and am using zonealarm yet dont think it is working properly.
    I have a program on my computer - launchderbiz.ie, which keeps reapearing after i delete it, and is a spyware program, which has ruined internet exploere,
    Ie is now full of search toolbars and pop up search windoes! so i am using firefox.
    to get rid of them i have tried, spybot ad aware and apy blaster, which all found some problems yet didnt make much difference when i fixed them

I downloaded Antivir xp, yet it keeps shutting down on me and am now using Avg free which is finding new trojans.worms every ten minutes,

I am also getting "system messages" linking me to this site,
    http://www.repairregistrypro.com/?hop=regclean

can someone tell me is this a valid site,
    What should i do, I am sorry for asking so much but I dont know what to do,
    I would apreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

First, UNINSTALL Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook from the Add/Remove control panel. You're using firefox, good. Upgrade to service pack 2 if you're using XP and switch on windows firewall. Get rid of all other anti-virus stuff besides AVG7 free. Switch all of the things in it on, and update. Then google for and download Ad-Aware SE personal and Spybot Search & Destroy. Update and run both of these and you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Mourinho's_love

mp3guy wrote:
    First, UNINSTALL Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook from the Add/Remove control panel. You're using firefox, good. Upgrade to service pack 2 if you're using XP and switch on windows firewall. Get rid of all other anti-virus stuff besides AVG7 free. Switch all of the things in it on, and update. Then google for and download Ad-Aware SE personal and Spybot Search & Destroy. Update and run both of these and you should be ok.

Ok thanks I will try that and should i do this
    I am also getting "system messages" linking me to this site,
    http://www.repairregistrypro.com/?hop=regclean

no, thats an ad too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

mp3guy wrote:
    UNINSTALL Internet Explorer 6
    There is no uninstalling Internet Explorer. Just stop the firewall granting internet access to Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.
    This article describes how to uninstall Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0 and return to your previous version of Internet Explorer on computers that are running any of the following operating systems...
    From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q293907/

• Advertisement

It only returns to an older version of IE on windows ME/98/95. In XP, its removed from all shortcuts, explorer, everything. Only way to access is the Run command.

mp3guy wrote:
    It only returns to an older version of IE on windows ME/98/95. In XP, its removed from all shortcuts, explorer, everything. Only way to access is the Run command.
    Ah. Right you are. Ignore me, its been a long week...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

mp3guy wrote:
    Upgrade to service pack 2 if you're using XP and switch on windows firewall.
    He already has Zone Alarm installed and you're telling him to get rid of it in preference to the windows firewall?! :eek:

Anyways dude I can't understand how people let their computers get this dilapitated. Dude I hate to say this but if your pc really is riddled with viruses then your best bet is a format and reinstall. I hate telling people to do this as I always leave it as a last resort but even after you give a system like this a good clean up you can never be too careful as there'll be a file or setting or whatever laying dormant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Mourinho's_love

I am trying to install service pack 2, but cant find a direct link
    the microsoft website seems to just tell you to switch automatic updates on,
    which i did and downloaded 8 other small updates,
    my pc is now installing these but it seems to have crashed on the first one, as it is not making any progress!

Achilles wrote:
    He already has Zone Alarm installed and you're telling him to get rid of it in preference to the windows firewall?! :eek:

ZoneAlarm would drag down his PC's performance even more, with all that spyware he already has. Plus, i've been using AVG/Spybot/Ad-Aware/Windows Firewall the past few months and have no problems at all.

• Advertisement

I am trying to install service pack 2, but cant find a direct link
    the microsoft website seems to just tell you to switch automatic updates on,
    which i did and downloaded 8 other small updates,
    my pc is now installing these but it seems to have crashed on the first one, as it is not making any progress!
    Sp2 would be much easier to install using a disc. If you don,t have one PM me your details & i'll post you one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Two words... SAFE MODE!!!! You can NOT get rid of any virus or Spyware these days in normal mode.. not unless they are very badly written!! Dont know how many times i tell the other Techs at work this.. they just dont get it... off they go running scans and complain thay it does not work :D

Put it into safe mode to remove.. dont even bother in normal mode.
    By the way lots of crapware and viruses can attach themselves to threads that are legit so you cant remove.. some even in safe mode.. in which case regedit is your only bet. Also google.. any virus or spyware that keeps appearing look for removal instructions.

edit: just noticed this was started by the guy who posted twice.. in which case same info in the other thread, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

reformat, and reinstall windows. everyone 'needs' to do this once a year anyway to keep everything running smoothly.

then after u reformat, switch on windows firewall as it is off by default on editions earlier than sp2, have a look in the windows help if u dont know how. do this BEFORE U connect it to the interenet. then go to windows update site and take advantage of ur broadband connection and download all the critical updates, this will include SP2. when its finished download and install spybot, andmicrosoft antispyware beta. the sp2 windows firewall is not ram intensive so is good contrary to what many nerds think.true it dowsnt have outgoing program control but so what? u dont need it anyway.

download and install etrust antivirus from www.microsoft.com/protect go to viruses left column, then software downloads, and its there somewhere. 12 month free trial and again its the least ram and processor intensive antivirus software available and its free.

make sure everything is set to autoupdate, and job is done,95% u wont see another infection again EVER.

lomb wrote:
    reformat, and reinstall windows. everyone 'needs' to do this once a year anyway to keep everything running smoothly.

Of course we all have those days every few months when we've nothing better to do for a whole day but reformat and reinstall everything, but he should be able to himself the bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

mp3guy wrote:
    Of course we all have those days every few months when we've nothing better to do for a whole day but reformat and reinstall everything, but he should be able to himself the bother.

once u reformat and install all the neccesary application including sp2, adobe, all the drivers, bittorent /filesharing apps/ nero/alcohol/ winrar/ office / codec packs/ winamp/ spybot/ lavasoft/ realplayer and maybe partition magic, i would then install norton ghost and ghost the c drive and copy it to a dvd. then whenever u need to reinstall its a 15or 20 minute job.......

Too true Lomb, but who hasn't done it the hard way first time around?

Advertisement