Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comp prob

Options
  • 06-05-2005 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so here is the prob.

In my dads office he has one PC designated for internet access. Connected via isdn. Only about 2 weeks ago a firewall(zonealarm) was installed. In the past few days it has just gotten ****ed.

Once it boots up it only takes a few seconds before it locks up completely. Nothing works apart from the mouse. No taskmanager.

Will run in safe mode. seems to be ok then.

Ran:
    McAffee virus scan (updated a couple of weeks ago)
    Nod32
    Stinger
    Microsoft Malicious Software Removal

All returned a clean bill of health.

Would it be easier to format the HD and start again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

How bout uninstalling zonealarm in safe mode or if installshield or what ever can't run in safemode do this:

Start-> Run. Msconfig. Click startup tab, and untick anything related to Zonealarm.

Alternativly if it's windows xp, try a system restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

tried restoring from last know good config yesterday but still same problem.
    next time i'm in the office will uninstall zonealarm and what everelse in safe mode and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Restoring from Last known good configuration is a different thing to from i'm talking about. Programs-> Accessories, System Tools-> System Restore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Ah, will do.
    Thanks

Advertisement