Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Usage

Options
  • 06-05-2005 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Im using a CAD program on my home PC at the moment, and any time I use it it seems to freeze. I have found out that the CPU usage hits 100% and this is why it freezes I presume, would that happen?? I have enough Ram to run the program so its not a problem there, I looked at the requirements and it states the recommended OS, XP Pro, 2000 Pro , NT4.0 and ME, now I have XP home (I know I should be shot) would that make a difference? I know it would be different but would it be enough to freeze the PC. I mean a total freeze as everything freezes! Any and all help is appriciated. If ye require anymore info just say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it depends very much exactly what you are using it for.

how much ram do you have and what software is it exactly (inc. version number). what are your other system specs?

there are plenty of high end apps that refuse to even get out of bed for less than 1gb or more of ram, and I've seen one or two engineering apps that won't work properly with less than 2gb even on a very fast PC.

knowing exactly what you're using it for (what are the file sizes you are messing around with for instance?) willhelp us figure out exactly what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

I have 512 Ram, now the recommend is 1GB when using large and i mean large projects on it, anything i'd be using would be tiny, and the recommended for these is 256 ram. Its solidworks by the way. I brought up the task manager while using it before it freezes and can see the CPU usage jump up to round 90%. If it is just the ram i dont mind i was gin to get more anyway but i would like to fix is problem ASAP. File sizes wouldn't even reach a MB i'd say. nothing major.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Its not a PTC 3D rendering program by any chance. Try turn off as much unwanted programs as possible.Whats you machine spec.

Nukem

It is!! I trid that and i get the list down pretty low, but still crashes. I might try it again but im a bit worried that i'll end up ending something vital.

Sorry Athlon 64 3000+

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

If your in UL,PM me and il sort ya out have a 3500+ and 1Gb so should be ok.
    If not try turn off all the programs you dont need big time.

nukem

Im afraid I as of yet do not have the privilege to be goin to UL. Thanks for your help though, i'll keep hammering away at it till i get it. Thanks again.

Advertisement