Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Software for Small buisness

Options
  • 06-05-2005 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Dear Friend's

My two best friends have set up a small tyre company and they are looking for some accounting software. We were told TAS 1 Books would do the trick by it is a bit expensive. I was hopping to get some information on other software that they could use, preferably free or software that does not cost much.

Many Thanks

Denis

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Probably the single biggest gaping hole in the open source field. There's GNUcash, but it's not really up to the job yet.

TAS is horrible. Big Red Book is a much better package, but may also be too expensive - they do have a Lite version though. Another option is to outsource the bookkeeping, which is often a more cost-effective approach. If you happen to be based near Mayo, PM me for a recommendation.

It's an ambition of mine to write a decent open source business package, but I won't have the time anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

SQL Ledger is free. It also has inventory-tracking and point-of-sale if you need these features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 axonware

Hi Guys
    If you're looking for small business accounting software it's worth checking out Quickbooks and MYOB.

Log on to http://www.axonware.ie/quickbooks.htm and you get a free trial of both.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

turbocash is open source and pretty useful.

the interface is a bit ick, but it has stock control which is good

MTOB is horrible IMO, its interface is insulting at best.

GNU cash is very good too, but youll need to know about compiling and so on to get it to run. Theres no windows version and no stock control. Its great for bookeeping though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Little L

Hi,

Not sure where on earth you got the prices for Tas Books 1 - its not ata ll expensive. Sage and Tas are the samecompany. You can get Tas Books 1 for just €99 + Vat this includes a year long support contract. Call 1800-255-300.
    Big Red books looks awful. It has no nominal ledger and is v expensive for what it does.
    Quickbooks, the package is ok but the support is not very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Little L

go to www.sage.ie or www.tassoftware.ie to get information and prices on tas books 1 or sage instant accounts

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Little L wrote:
    Not sure where on earth you got the prices for Tas Books 1 - its not ata ll expensive. Sage and Tas are the samecompany. You can get Tas Books 1 for just €99 + Vat this includes a year long support contract.

Big Red books looks awful. It has no nominal ledger and is v expensive for what it does.
    I'm going by what the missus says, rather than by appearances. She has to use both on a regular basis (she does outsourced bookkeeping) and would chuck TAS out the window given half a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Probably the single biggest gaping hole in the open source field.

Couldn't agree more. Have messed around with GNU Cash but as you said its a long way off yet.
    SQL Ledger is free. It also has inventory-tracking and point-of-sale if you need these features.

Never heard of it. Will give it a go.
    Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement