Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upload spiking

Options
  • 05-05-2005 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,173 ✭✭✭✭

when ever i connect to a new site, refresha site or open any kind of link, my upload is spiking up to anywhere between 50 and 100kbps. Is this normal, i can't see why i'd be up loading, i though it would all be downloading..... when i'm static on a page or just typing a post my DL and UL stays a 0.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

For every piece of information that your browser (for example) receives you send back an acknowledegement to the sending server that it's been received and to send you on the next piece of info. Quite a lot of the info gets lost or held up en route so it just gets sent again and it happens so fast that we don't really notice. This is over-symplifying it a bit but is basically what happens. The outward communication will be a very small percentage of the total traffic for normal web usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,173 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Goldstein wrote:
    For every piece of information that your browser (for example) receives you send back an acknowledegement to the sending server that it's been received and to send you on the next piece of info. Quite a lot of the info gets lost or held up en route so it just gets sent again and it happens so fast that we don't really notice. This is over-symplifying it a bit but is basically what happens. The outward communication will be a very small percentage of the total traffic for normal web usage.

should it not be less then my download - it can be 5 time greater then the current download?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tauren wrote:
    ...spiking...

'spiking' may be a key word here?

The upload has to spike somewhere, no?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Tauren wrote:
    should it not be less then my download - it can be 5 time greater then the current download?

Whow, there's no way it would be anywhere near being greater, let alone 5 times greater. Something is amiss alright. Doesn't sound like a worm/virus/malware doing a DOS attack as it stops sending data when you aren't doing anything, normally those things just keep going. Have you run adware/spyware and virus checks with latest definitions? Do you have a firewall? Is it happening on all sites or specific ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

sounds like you've been hackedmate, hope not but thats what it seems to be!

• Advertisement

neon_glows wrote:
    sounds like you've been hackedmate, hope not but thats what it seems to be!
    i have ran spyware - 2 entries left afer deletion, not sdure bout firewalls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

tauren, get a firewall.
    an anti virus.

go here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=231147

there are loads of stuff you can try out.
    just read and if your stuck, ask questions here.

just ran spyware again, and i have now got rid of everything, have two firewalls (the crappy windows XP one and Syagtes one running, but the Uplad prob is still happening (for a second or two i was running 60kbps U/L with only 28kbpsD/L. happens every time my browser is told to load a page, anywhere. any recommendations of what i should do?

Sygate says i am running the following apps:

Firefox (fine) MSN and windows messenger (have told both to stop running) LSA Shell - Export Version (no idea what that is) Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (again, not sure whether its legal or not) Application Layer Gateway Services (??) NDIS User mode I/O Driver (??) Common Client User Session (??) NT Kernal and System.

I'm using XP Home on Service pack 2 with all available updates installed.

tauren, get a firewall.
    an anti virus.

go here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=231147

there are loads of stuff you can try out.
    just read and if your stuck, ask questions here.

Have Norton Anto virus fully up to date too

i now have two firewalls and two anti-virus programs running, still having the problem.... anyone have any ideas what i could do - realised the U/L has not been 60kbps - its been 7/8kbps cause the Download meter has is showing full bandwidth, not actual limits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement