Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google messes up!

Options
  • 05-05-2005 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭

Google new Web Accelerator caches all the websites onto a server and other machines (ala P2P). People have been reporting that they can see other peoples cache'd versions of certain websites. For example, if you are using it, you might be able to see someone elses PM's (although unlikely)

People on SA have been reporting crazy crap happening.

Do not use this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Giblet wrote:
    People on SA have been reporting crazy crap happening.
    Yeah I've just been reading that article... nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I only tried it for 5 minutes and then removed it. Glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I was gonna install it this morning, then a strange thing happened - I actually read some of the usual install blurb and EULA and it made me re-think.
    Glad I didn't install it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

can mod delete/merge duplicate thread? already a thread covering this topic........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Daveirl, you seem to think that simply blocking some sites from using it will make everything alright again. This is an issue far above simple usage problems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The cache is in a file called GoogleWebAcceleratorCache in the temp folder

eg:
    notepad %TEMP%\GoogleWebAcceleratorCache

Are you sure it's P2Ping or just handing out the first cached page to later users from a central server ?

This is like a super huge proxy now though.

• Advertisement

P2P in a way that it retrieves the page from the latest client to use it and stores in on the server. Not P2P explicitly, but you get the Idea.

Giblet wrote:
    P2P in a way that it retrieves the page from the latest client to use it and stores in on the server. Not P2P explicitly, but you get the Idea.
    wha wha? its not P2P at all
    google's servers retrieve all the pages from the websites they don't retrieve any from your computer. there is no P2P in this at all.

This may not be important, SA uses VBulletin, although their owned hacked version. They also have 5 times the logins we do so, if it does affect this site we probably won't know yet.

Giblet wrote:
    This may not be important, SA uses VBulletin, although their owned hacked version. They also have 5 times the logins we do so, if it does affect this site we probably won't know yet.
    ok worst case senario :
    you get a list of pm's in someone elses inbox....

its not that big of a deal.

And your examples before showed one person acting as several, so it stands to reason even with our less users someone should have experenced it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

How I read it is that it reads from googles proxy server the page. But you are able to see stuff that no one should be able to see.

Darth Bobo wrote:
    ok worst case senario :
    you get a list of pm's in someone elses inbox....

its not that big of a deal.

And your examples before showed one person acting as several, so it stands to reason even with our less users someone should have experenced it by now.

I'll say it again, it's nothing to do with how trivial sounding getting a list of someones PM's is.

Admins have also been reporting that when trying to ban users they couldn't.

Giblet wrote:
    I'll say it again, it's nothing to do with how trivial sounding getting a list of someones PM's is.
    Well at least we are in agreement its trivial
    Admins have also been reporting that when trying to ban users they couldn't.
    did they try refresh? and tbh it would have to be the worst website ever if you couldn't ban a user, the http post headers will almost definately flag it for google to send it onto the server n have the query processed

And as i've said before, if security/privacy is an issue the website should be using ssl , its really as simple as that.

(if one takes the look at an internet cafe, all the browsers there will be cache'n the webpages just as google is, as such its just as much of a security problem, and the probally have a proxy server also. Where's the thread telling us not to use internet cafe's?

The main arguement that google is so much worse than these is because of the scale of google bla bla bla, to me that sounds like it makes it safer as the odds of you seeing something thats actually relevent to you must decrease exponentially)

Trivial sounding

I regularly post my user name and password in subject headings to myself.

Anyway VB3 is safe. FOR NOW.

the pragma: no-cache header is sent.

Giblet wrote:
    Trivial sounding

I regularly post my user name and password in subject headings to myself.
    in PM's ?

well thats silly to say the least.

the least you could do is email it to yourself with some webmail/mail server using ssl/imaps/pops

• Advertisement

Giblet wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    you can't blame google because you do stupid things tbh.

I don't do stupid things like that, I'm just taking the piss.

Advertisement