Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petey Pablo - Sentence To Time On Death Row

Options
  • 05-05-2005 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭

It's official - Petey Pablo is now signed to Tha Row. Hopefully this means that either

(a) Suge has distribution issues resolved as Koch were even worse than DNA Ent. (try finding a SINGLE artist/label happy with Koch these days & I'll show you a god damned miracle)

or

(b) Suge took a baseball bat to Clive Davis' office to get Petey P released from his contract with Jive

Petey should now be terminating his management contract with Suge, as it's not good business to have your business manager as your boss; conflict of interest. Alot of past inmates had Sharitha Knight as their managers (she was Suge's wife - now his ex-wife) & she ran Knightlife Management & alot of artists got screwed that way.

Word is Petey's been up in the studio alot with the 'HeavyHitters' (inhouse production team @ Tha Row). Then again, all inmates had as much studio time as they liked & whether **** got released or not was another thing; 120+ 2pac tracks, 90+ tracks from Tha Releast, at least 80 from Crooked I, 20+ from Sam Sneed, 50+ from Tha Dogg Pound & god knows how much more sits in 'The Vaults' at this rate....

Good thing is Petey has a big fan base, already a regular on MTV/BET/KISS etc etc, so it won't be a problem getting his album to move....

Wonder if these means 'The Chair' is getting cleaned down & the 2nd Dynasty of Tha Row is gonna kick off..... funny thing is, With Death Row - You Never Know..... & usually it's NOT good for fans!!!!!!! :mad:

::: ven0mous :::

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Heard the new track with Pablo and Kurupt? Its quite good, its at the end of one of yet another of those newly released Best of Death Row CDs (jesus christ, most of the real fans already have the majorty of death releases, and those that dont bought one of the at least dozen death row greatest hits CDs)
    And the tracklisting.....fcuk me. How many greatest hits CDs is Suge gonna put Cali Love/Gin and Juice on?

Kurupt is back with Snoop and Daz now as DPG. I couldnt believe when i heard, just a few months ago there was some severe hate there, but all three even showed up at a gig in Detroit not long back

I think Kurupt left Death Row, he has a full album there waitin to get released

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Evzer

This album will never come out. I'll put my house on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Tha Gopher wrote:
    I think Kurupt left Death Row, he has a full album there waitin to get released

Kurupt didn't come BACK to Death Row as an artist, he came back as Vice President ONLY. He was still signed to Antra Records (now known as Treacherous Records), which he is in negotiations with to be released from as a solo artist.

Once this deal has gone through, he will be putting his solo stuff out on Death Row, & his work with Daz under 'D.P.G.' ('Tha Dogg Pound' is a name owned by Suge Knight) on Daz's DPG Recordz imprint.

As for the release of nothing but compilations, Suge can't get out of the distribution deal with Koch without releasing a certain amount of albums so the easy way out is compilations. It's pointless to drop solo artist albums with them as they consistently **** up promotion, delivery dates are rarely met or coincide with street dates & their security is woeful & worse than most other distributers. WEA are better & that isn't saying a whole lot, believe me.

People wonder why Crooked I's stuff never dropped or stuff by Tha Realest. Rather simple really - it was nowhere up to par & without a big label backing them like the glory days (Interscope) & the black balling of Death Row by MTV it's gonna be hard to sell enough units to cover the costs & no-one wins, because the bottom line IS the bottom line.

It'd be hard for MTV to blackball someone like Petey Pablo (who is HUUUUGE in the US) despite their blackballing of Death Row Records (who if they p[lan on dropping Petey's album it means they'll need label backing or else a distribution contract with a major), same as they'd love to blackball anything coming out of The Inc - but they can't because of their popularity & also because there is a big label behind them.

But in honesty - the 'glory days' of labels are now gone. Labels that were making $50m+ a year like Bad Boy, No Limit, Cash Money & Death Row are no longer sustainable models in the industry anymore since alot of the majors consolidated & focussed on pushing artists as individuals as opposed to trying to push a label.... the only imprint that seems to work outside this model is Aftermath Records, which is only because of the long-standing business ties between Interscope/Geffen CEO Jimmy Iovine & Dr Dre.

Artists get 'given' their own labels by the majors as a sweetener but many artists fail to realise their label frankly isn't worth ****, has NO clout & the glory days of 'stables' of artists under labels is now long gone as the majors learned from what happened with Death Row in the early 90's where one small label suddenly had huge clout, pulling power & owned it's own masters & everyone recognised that they alone helped save a label like Interscope from a financial mess & they are not going to put themselves in a position where a 'sub-label' gets that much credit or has that much power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nate Dogg

Stranded On Death Row!

* The D.O.C.
    * Dr. Dre
    * Snoop Dogg
    * Daz
    * Kurupt
    * Nate Dogg
    * RBX
    * The Lady of Rage
    * Michel'le
    * Jewell
    * Danny Boy
    * Sam Sneed
    * Warren G
    * 2Pac
    * DJ Quik
    * Tray Deee
    * Bad Azz
    * Outlawz
    * Soopafly
    * Big Pimpin
    * Young Soldiers
    * South Sentrell
    * Mc Hammer
    * Gina Longo
    * OFTB
    * BGOTI
    * Paradise
    * CPO Boss Hogg
    * Six Feet Deep
    * B-Rezel
    * K-Solo
    * Tha Convicts
    * LBC Crew
    * J-Flex
    * Tha Realest
    * Lil C-Style
    * Swoop G
    * Top Dogg
    * Doobie
    * Mac Shawn
    * Keita Rock
    * Dre'sta
    * Young Hoggz
    * Tha Last Circle
    * VK
    * Milkbone
    * Chocolate Bandit
    * Bad Habitz
    * Capricorn
    * J. Valentine
    * PB
    * SKG
    * Spider Loc
    * Left Eye (NINA)
    * Above the Law
    * K-9
    * Natina Reed
    * Tha Gang
    * El Dorado
    * Crooked I
    * Eastwood
    * Gail Gotti
    * Virginya Slim
    * Petty Pablo
    * Redrum
    * Mark Morison
    * Boody Mary
    * 6 Feet Deep

Dr. Dre & Ice Cube - "Helter Skelter" (1994/95)
    Dr. Dre - "The Chronic 2: Poppa's Got A Brand New Funk" (1996)
    Makaveli - "One Nation" (1996/1997)
    Danny Boy - "Danny Boy" (1996)
    Nate Doog - "G-Funk Classics Vol. 1" (1996)
    (Only Released Overseas, It Was Later Released Off Death Row On Nate Dogg's Own Imprint, Dogg Foundation Records)
    Sam Sneed - "Sam Sneed Indeed" (1997)
    Snoop Doggy Dogg - "Tha Doggumentary" (1997)
    Snoop Doggy Dogg - "Tha Doggfather Part 2: Corleone's Revenge" (1997-1998)
    LBC Crew - "Haven't Ya Heard? (We Givin' Somethin' Back To The Hood)" (1997)
    Makaveli Presents - "One Nation" (East Coast Collaboration) (1997)
    O.F.T.B. - "Operation From The Bottom" (1997)
    Dat Nigga Daz - "Aftershock E.P." (1997-1999)
    Dat Nigga Daz - "What It Iz" (Movie & Sountrack) (1999)
    Tha Dogg Pound - "Dogg Sh*t" (1996-1998)
    Tha Dogg Pound - "Daz Kurupt: Kurupt Daz" (1999)
    Soopafly - "Like It Or Not" (1999)
    J. Flexx - "Stayin' Alive" (1999)
    The Outlawz - "Retribution" (1999)
    Top Dogg - "Y.G.D." (1999)
    Chocolate Bandit - "Untitled" (1999)
    Tha Outlawz - "Retribution" (1999)
    2Pac/Makaveli - "The Vault" (4-Disc Box Set) (2000)
    Tha Realest - "Prodigal Son" (1999/2000)
    Death Row/Cash Money Collaboration - "Untitled" (1999/2000)
    Above The Law - "Diary Of A Drug Dealer" (2000-2001)
    Crooked I – Untouchable (1999-2000)
    Crooked I - "Say Hi 2 Tha Bad Guy" (2000-2003)
    Tha Row/Murder Inc Collaboration - "Untitled" (2001/2003)
    NINA (Lisa Lefteye Lopez) - "Untitled" (2002-2003)
    Eastwood – "Born To Be Hated” (2002-2004)
    Spider Loc (now signed with G-Unit Records) - "Untitled" (2003-2004)
    Kurupt – Against The Grain (2004-2005)
    Petty Pablo – "Untitled" (2005 – 2010) Its never coming out

Thought you might find this interesting found on the net few years ago I just updated it.
    Good to see kurupt back with his old crew can’t wait for the new dpg album and poor petty suge must have brain washed him. IF Petty Pablos & Kurupts albums ever get released and the label gets gold or platinum album sales then I’m sure Kurupts brother Roscoe now a free agent will sign. They will probably try to release the crooked I & Nina albums aswell.
    Originally Posted by ven0m
    People wonder why Crooked I's stuff never dropped or stuff by Tha Realest. Rather simple really - it was nowhere up to par

How could you say Crooked I's work wasn’t up to par after Ras Kass & Sly Boogie he is probably the biggest talent the west coast has right now. He is much better MC than Aftermaths Game or Bishop Lamont.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Ha Mark Morrison as in Return of the Mack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Nate Dogg wrote:
    How could you say Crooked I's work wasn’t up to par after Ras Kass & Sly Boogie he is probably the biggest talent the west coast has right now. He is much better MC than Aftermaths Game or Bishop Lamont.

Don't get me wrong I ****ING LOVE Crooked I as an MC & think him, Chino, Kurupt, Ras & Jayo are some of the sickest rhyme slangers out there past, present & future....

If you heard most of the stuff that was supposed to make it onto 'SAy Hi To The Bad Guy' or 'Untouchable' you'd know it was nowhere near good enough to be dropped & the main problem was the beats that were done by Vegas & Triple-7 Productions & also the limited scope of Crook's tracks theme-wise....

That said & done, I'd have loved these albums to be dropped (although I do got alot of the tracks that were done for the albums anyways!) - either way I'm happy - but honestly, when you put alot of the unreleased material that's been done in Tha Row's studio's since 'Pac got killed, the ONLY person's material who woulda sold would honestly have been stuff by Jevon Jones aka Tha Realest.

The material sounded good, the beats were hot, & the material as a whole was decent.... but even that got ****ed up & buried....

Spider Loc likes to call himself 'west kept secret' - I think he's talkin about Crooked I IMHO....

BTW - the album by YGD Tha Top Dogg was actually called 'Every Dogg Has His Day'. 'G-Funk Classics' by Nate Dogg was released for a short period & locally in some parts of L.A.. It never made a nationwide or international release until Nate toiok his masters & formed Dogg Foundation Records & got distrib. with Breakaway Entertainment. Soopafly's 'LIKE IT OR NOT' was never an album & was meant to be called 'DPG Product' which got released as a bootleg album & other material from it ended up on 'Dat Whoopty Whoop' that was released by Daz Dillinger's DPG Recordz. 'Daz Kurupt : Kurupt Daz' was released as '2002'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nate Dogg

Yeah sorry I forgot bout Darren Vegas’s weak beats for Say Hi To The Bad Guy.
    But Big Hutch aka Cold 187 produced over 40 songs for the untouchable album.
    Here is a new crook interview if anyone’s interested http://westcoast2k.net/interviews/crookedi.htm
    Originally Posted by Makaveli
    Ha Mark Morrison as in Return of the Mack?

Yeah that’s him. Morrison and 6 Feet Deep were the only acts signed to the now defunct Deathrow UK. Morrison was on the Dat Nigga Daz - "What It Iz" album that was later released on dpg recordz as R.A.W. the song called backstabber and was also on Morrison album he even made a video for it.

Advertisement