Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sore hand

Options
  • 05-05-2005 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

I play tennis 3 or 4 times a week, for between 2-3 hours per session. For the last few months my hand has been very sore, sometimes during but mostly after playing. I love tennis and don't want to give it up, but I don't want to cause irreparable damage to my hand.

One of the coaches at the club has recommended a racket with a bigger longer and wider handle, but I don’t want to spend €200-€250 on a racket just to find out a week or so later that I’ll have to give up one of my favourite sports anyway.

What are the chances that a new racket will help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

The coach is right. Change your racquet to one with a larger grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks for the response.

Has anyone here had a similar problem and has a larger grip helped?

There are many different grip sizes and racquet weights, you'll have to find one that suits you. If possible go to someone like Martyn Evans in Fitzwilliam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭almostagassi

I would be reluctant to blame it on the racket, seek medicial attention. unless the pain came on because of the new racket and even then i would go and see a doctor.

the problem may be a small fracture on the bone, torn muscle or damaged nerve. you will do more damage unless you get proper treatment.

I'm sure Praetorian has considered that and as we're not able to give a medical opinion here he will have sought the opinion of a professional already.

It would appear he has also consulted a tennis coach who will have some understanding of tennis injuries/problems and the importance of using adequate equipment to prevent and/or treat some of these problems.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Amz wrote:
    I'm sure Praetorian has considered that and as we're not able to give a medical opinion here he will have sought the opinion of a professional already.

It would appear he has also consulted a tennis coach who will have some understanding of tennis injuries/problems and the importance of using adequate equipment to prevent and/or treat some of these problems.

what hole did you crawl out of. i know accountants can be patronising, but a trainee takes the biscuit

Swingking banned indefinitely for stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Prae!

Before you head off buying a new racket, whats your current grip size? You can buy grips to fit over your existing one for very small money. If you found it solved the problem then you might be better informed as to what grip size would suit you.

Check the inside of the handle near the "top" of the grip where it heads off into a V. Should have the grip size and other specs in there.

Or, give us the racket name and model.

A handy (but loose) guide is the grip the racket as per usual, and place your index finger where the fingers wrap round the racket. It should be a snug fit for best grip size.

handfinder.GIF

more

Check out the rest of the "learning section" of that site above, good resource.

I would be reluctant to blame it on the racket, seek medicial attention. unless the pain came on because of the new racket and even then i would go and see a doctor.

the problem may be a small fracture on the bone, torn muscle or damaged nerve. you will do more damage unless you get proper treatment.

Not to open a cano-o'-worms, but I think thats a pretty extremist view.

/me fears the Amz beatdown

• Advertisement

Amz wrote:
    Swingking banned indefinitely for stupidity.

your abusing your power by banning him. how come ordinary users dont have the power to ban every time they are critisised. objectively i thouGHT Amz was out of order with the patronising slur.

since when did boards become totalitarian. every heard of the constitutional maxim "nemo insua causia udex". it means no one should be a judge of their own cause.

Not to open a cano-o'-worms, but I think thats a pretty extremist view.

/me fears the Amz beatdown

better safe than sorry.

the fact that he (she?) felt the need to start a thread, and it has been hurting for months is evidence of the seriousness.

if it is a muscle pain then i think 2-3 months would have strengthened the fist that grips the racket.

plus there is the danger of underestimating, you are giving bad advice. ive heard of stories of people afraid to see their doctor and a mild injury like a suspected glandula fever turns out to be a severe virus, heard of justine henin hardenne.

personnally i dont care, but my views have been challenged with such sceptism, i feel the need to defend them.

since when did boards become totalitarian.

Since when was it viewed to be democratic?

almostagassi as Amz stated, and is correct in doing so, it is not right for anyone on here to give medical advice. It doesnt matter how qualified you are, or think you are, boards.ie is not the place for what you would feel "best advice".

I dont think my advice is bad, but then again it wasn't ment for you - but for Praetorian.

I'm not meaning to come down on your posts almostagassi, it's great to see good discussion in this little ol' forum, but we cant all agree all the time :)

Thanks again for all the replies. I got a nice new racket on Saturday morning. I've played with it twice now and it seems to be working well. No pain or strain. 10 Aces in yesterdays 2 set mens doubles match :) 6-4 6-1

Praetorian wrote:
    10 Aces in yesterdays 2 set mens doubles match :) 6-4 6-1

Jasus - what racket did you buy? I want a cut of that action

It's one of the Wilson triad rackets. Seemed to have a very nice weight / power ratio. The ncode rackets were a little too top heavy for my liking.

Advertisement