Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas tickets?

Options
  • 05-05-2005 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

My wife just started working in Sandyford so gets bus downtown (from palmerstown)then Luas to Sandyford.

Anyway the 7 day tickets.. i would assume they are 7 days from first validation... on 7th day they expire? Or is it 7 different days?? I mean she only uses the luas 5 days a week so if i got her a 7 day pass would i be wasting 2 days?
    Seems a bit greedy not to have passes available for 5 days since most people would use it during the working week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

A 7 day ticket is valid for 7 full days. Not really sure how else to put it. If you buy one on a Sunday it is valid from first service on Sunday to last service the following Saturday.

There are 5 day bus only tickets but not bus/luas. If the 7 day is cheaper than single fares for the week then it is worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The seven day ticket is set at something like 4 return tickets. You get the fifth working day and the weekend free.

It doesn't really make sense to issue 5 days tickets instead of 7 day, it just "makes sure" people travel peak day and not off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

If your travelling 5 days a week, it is cheaper to buy a 7 day season ticket. Simple as that. Plus if you going into town at the weekend - look at it this way, its free!

Even cheaper would be a monthly ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Remember that you need a Luas ID for a monthly ticket.

If you're buying tickets at the Heuston stop, get them from the Tallaght-bound side. Your ticket will then be a Red 2 and Central ticket for the same price as a Central one. However, if you plan on using a central zone return ticket as a daily pass (cough), get it from the City-bound side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A bus and Luas combo ticket for 7 days costs €23. It starts the day you buy it if its from a Luas machine (it's printed with the date). If its a Bus ticket, it starts when you validate it in the ticket reader on the Dublin Bus. You have to use it on the bus before you use it on the Luas if it's a bus type ticket, because otherwise it doesnt have a date stamped on it.

Alternatively she can use a Luas Smart Card. You top it up with whatever amount you want, and a single trip to Sandyford costs €1.90, as opposed to €2 from the machine. It's just a credit-card sized swipe, which you wave in front of those readers you see at all the stops. I use it in the morning, and get a lift home in the evening, so it works out a lot cheaper for me, because it's not restricted to dates.

http://luassmartcard.luas.ie/

Remember that you need a Luas ID for a monthly ticket.

If you're buying tickets at the Heuston stop, get them from the Tallaght-bound side. Your ticket will then be a Red 2 and Central ticket for the same price as a Central one. However, if you plan on using a central zone return ticket as a daily pass (cough), get it from the City-bound side.

A CIE identity card is also vaild for LUAS monthly tickets.

I have also discovered that quirke with the ticket machine on the Tallaght platform at Heuston.

ENTERPRISE

bruachain wrote:
    Alternatively she can use a Luas Smart Card. You top it up with whatever amount you want, and a single trip to Sandyford costs €1.90, as opposed to €2 from the machine. It's just a credit-card sized swipe, which you wave in front of those readers you see at all the stops. I use it in the morning, and get a lift home in the evening, so it works out a lot cheaper for me, because it's not restricted to dates.

http://luassmartcard.luas.ie/

While a SMART card is great value for people who use the LUAS often, but not enough to warrant a season ticket it isn't so great for travellers who use it every day, each way. Its still cheaper to buy a season ticket.

enterprise wrote:
    While a SMART card is great value for people who use the LUAS often, but not enough to warrant a season ticket it isn't so great for travellers who use it every day, each way. Its still cheaper to buy a season ticket.

It is also very bad value for the journey the OP cited because seperate bus tickets would have to be bought (at least for the moment).

Advertisement