Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resetting Windows XP language?

Options
  • 05-05-2005 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I have to deal with a computer where the customer has changed the language to Mandarin. They want it changed back to English, but unfortunately, I've no idea how to do it. The entire language app in the Control Panel is in Chinese characters, so its worse than useless. Is there a registry key or third-party application I can use to change it back?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cool - found out how they did it 'cos it would be nice to know as loads of people want to change the OS langauage - also should give you clues as to how to undo.

The buttons should be in the same relative places.
    And they havent done something like choose chinese font - if so right click desktop and into properties and choose something ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

To change the interface languages in xp, you have to install the MUI (Multilingual User Interface) pack.
    More info can be found here - http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/muifaq.mspx#MUIques19
    To return the interface to English, this will take a bit of experimenting seeing as you're working in Mandarin!
    Try and find Control Panel.
    In Control Panel double-click the icon that looks like a globe on a stand. The is the Regional and Language Options icon.
    In here you need to go to second tab. the Languages tab on the English version.
    You should see something that looks like this
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/Images/changeUI/xp-mui.gif

As you can see MUI installs another option here from regular XP, the last part.
    Judging by this screenshot you should be able to see "English" written in the Queen's own.
    Boxed off!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MUI is not supported on consumer versions of Windows such as Windows 9x, Windows Me, and Windows XP Home Edition.
    How can I acquire Windows MUI?
    The Windows XP/2000 MUI is sold only through Volume Licensing programs such as the Microsoft Open License Program (MOLP / Open), Select, and Enterprise agreement (or with a new computer as an OEM version at customer request). It is not available through retail channels.

If they have MUI installed then - http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/win2k/setup/changeui.mspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

Sp, you're saying....

Advertisement