Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you play Limit Poker?

Options
  • 05-05-2005 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So, what, is it some sort of card game or wha?

Seriously, since I'm about to use my hard earned cash to play some online poker, I figure it'll be a while before I'll be playing no-limit again. I get the feeling that limit is a vastly different game, no stealing pots, going all-in on small pairs, etc. Is it really just a case of biding your time til you get good hole cards, then trying to get as many limpers as possible?

Coming from no-limit, I think I've been slightly spoiled. I like to play loose and mix it up a little, but quite often after re-raising on the flop find I can't make a flush or could be beaten by trips. My defauly behaviour in this situation is to keep betting big and try to scare away everyone else (at most 2 other players, any more and I generally fold).

So I guess my main problem is chasing too many hands. Try that with limit poker and I'm going to be heading out pretty early, right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

To play limit holdem you need to be very mathematically astute. Playing loose just wont cut it at most tables because you'll find yourself getting eaten alive by tight aggressive players. A solid starting hand strategy is essential, but you need to know how to adjust it to suit the table you are playing. In order to be successful at limit you need to calculate implied odds in your head pretty quickly since their is no way you can blow players out of pots and you'll find yourself chasing draws more often than you would in NL. Even back door draws come into your calculations when playing limit. Sklansky/Malmuth's book Holdem for advanced players is one of the best limit books out there, although not all of the concepts apply to low limit games. Jim Brier writes some excellent articles on limit holdem in Cardplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Nicky, I have a fair idea of pot odds, etc, so that part doesn't faze me, but I guess my problem is a common one, knowing when to fold and stop chasing an inside straight or whatever.

I'll take a look at some Brier's articles. The book is in my Amazon basket (has been for the last 3 weeks). Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

There's a good section on Limit in Doyle Brunson's as well... (and believe it or not) a good section in Phil Helmuth's otherwise pathetic Play Like a Pro book.

Aggression is the key in the Limit MTT's, pick a strong hand and unless you know you are beat, see it through to the river.
    Some pro said " Limit is the science of Poker, No Limit is the Art of Poker "

I won 3 MTT's (out of 6 played) in Limit in the last month or so, and put it down to Helmuth's section on Limit Poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

corblimey wrote:
    Nicky, I have a fair idea of pot odds, etc, so that part doesn't faze me, but I guess my problem is a common one, knowing when to fold and stop chasing an inside straight or whatever.

Knowing when not to chase inside straight in limit simply is a case of knowing the odds. When playing low or micro limits online though you need to re addust the odds a little though.
    a)only really calculate for one card to come. This is because your chances of getting a free card from turn to river at low limit is extremely low. Too many people throwing money into the pot.
    B)dont forget the implied odds, most low limit player who have called you as far as the river will call the river on rather then fold.
    C) with so many people in the pot always give serious consideration to whether you straight will be good if you make.

Finally I find in low limit as opposed to no limit you regularly find 3 or even 4 people involved until the end. This means hands such as top pair and top kicker are less valuable then they are in other games. Reason for this is that people are playing so loosely that if your holding for example J A and flop is 3 6 J nomally you wouldnt expect anyone to be in on 6 3 people at these levels just dont play be the book :)

BTW this doesnt mean its unbeatable

So is it the case then that people more tightly or more loosely at low-limit? I would've thought more tightly, but on the other hand, I understand that you're more likely to throw another buck into the pot to see the river rather than having to call an all-in raise, but on the other hand, pot odds would be working against you a lot of the time...

<== confused :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Many low limit player will call you down with Ace high, an underpair or chase a gutshot to the death because they don't know any better. The only time you really get a chance to bluff in limit is if its shorthanded and you're in the blinds when there is trash on the flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I don't play the cash games, $10 MTT's normally.

Tight as a duck's ass in Limit, then when you get a Premium Hand, bet really aggressive, because it is limit, you will get plenty callers, this really builds the pot.

When the flop comes, whether you hit the flop or not,(because of your strict starting hand requirements) come out firing on all cylinders, act like you hit the flop perfectly, watch them dive for cover and fold.

If someone is still with you at turn and river, and you are uneasy about your hand, you can check it down, and call their one bet, the odds are nearly always in your favour to call.

Can't stress enough though ... Ultra Strict Starting Requirments, and then very aggressive betting...... great buzz out of Limit Hold Em, I love it. First couple of blind levels can be dull, then the fun begins.

Build the pot when you have the hand.

So then it's not the nature of low-limit that drives players behaviour but the fact that low-limit attracts the type of player who is more likely to play loose, and chase dead hands, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

i wouldnt push anything less then trebs too hard in low limit. certainly id be v wary with top pair. Also in low limit late in position with 5 or more players limping (this is quite a regular senario) id consider many suited connectors. Simply because your pay off can be massive if you hit/straight or flush. 80% of players will call you all the way with anything above top pair.

However id steer clear of AJ, KQ and anyything lower in early position as top pair is costly far too often.

Position is major in limit poker (as it in in all forms) because the more people acting before you the better you can calculate your pot oddds.

Advertisement