Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Beats and more

Options
  • 05-05-2005 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I'm am currently in a bad beat run and as much as I try to play through it it keeps on happening me. Let me give you an example or two:
    Example 1:
    I was playing a cash game the other night, there was a raise, a re-rasie and another re-raise before me, I looked down at my cards and see KK. Knowing the players at the table I put them all on Ax, so I go all in and everyone calls. Sure enough when the cards are turned over there is an AK, A10 and AQ. At this point I really fancy my chances with only one A left out of 44 cards. On the river an A flops, I loose a 1K pot.

Is there anything I could have done different, especially calling the hands as I did?

Example 2:
    I look down at pocket 9s, and put a nice raise in pre flop. I get 2 callers. The flop comes 9diamonds, 7 diamonds and 3 clubs. Not wanting anymore diamonds I go all in and get 2 callers. One caller has pocket 5s, I is a diamond. The other has 2 over cards Ace Diamonds and Jack of something. Two running diamonds come on the turn and the river, both players called me thinking I was bluffing and I get burnt again on the river.

Any advice as to how I can stop these beats, or am I playing badly? I have at least 20 more examples I can give from the last few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Surely those bad beats fall into the 'that's poker' category? You were the massive favourite prior to your all in on both occasions, in the long run you want to be called by your opponents' hands here! I don't think you played badly - and there is no way you can stop those beats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 TheEye

In the same night I hit a royal flush and got 0 payout on it, I checked it down to the river, I was on the button so bet a little right at the end and everyone folded.

I had A Q spades in the same game, raised the pot preflop can got callers. The flop came Q, J and 5, again I raised the pot and got a caller. The turn brought a rag and again I raised the pot and again he called. The river brought another J. The way he played the hand, he had to have top pair or an over pair, at least that is what I put him on. This time I checked, he went all in, (about €15 more in a €500 pot) I had to call, he turned over a jack and a 3, what was he doing in the pot in the first place????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭john_g83

TheEye wrote:
    The turn brought a rag and again I raised the pot and again he called.

Hey ricky you never told me how much did you raise on the turn, maybe it wasn't enough to scare him away.

I raised the pot, whatever was in it, about 90 I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

TheEye wrote:
    I'm am currently in a bad beat run and as much as I try to play through it it keeps on happening me. Let me give you an example or two:
    Example 1:
    I was playing a cash game the other night, there was a raise, a re-rasie and another re-raise before me, I looked down at my cards and see KK. Knowing the players at the table I put them all on Ax, so I go all in and everyone calls. Sure enough when the cards are turned over there is an AK, A10 and AQ. At this point I really fancy my chances with only one A left out of 44 cards. On the river an A flops, I loose a 1K pot.

Is there anything I could have done different, especially calling the hands as I did?
    You should have smelt a bad beat coming and folded preflop. Why take the chance?
    Example 2:
    I look down at pocket 9s, and put a nice raise in pre flop. I get 2 callers. The flop comes 9diamonds, 7 diamonds and 3 clubs. Not wanting anymore diamonds I go all in and get 2 callers. One caller has pocket 5s, I is a diamond. The other has 2 over cards Ace Diamonds and Jack of something. Two running diamonds come on the turn and the river, both players called me thinking I was bluffing and I get burnt again on the river.
    I've never heard of something as nasty as this happening before. It's unprecedented. ul.
    Any advice as to how I can stop these beats, or am I playing badly? I have at least 20 more examples I can give from the last few weeks.
    Check the nuts on the flop. Then check the turn. If it's no longer the nuts on the river fold to any bet.
    In the same night I hit a royal flush and got 0 payout on it, I checked it down to the river, I was on the button so bet a little right at the end and everyone folded.
    You have the nut and second nut flushes, the nut straight and the straight flush. Who exactly were you expecting to pay you off?
    I had A Q spades in the same game, raised the pot preflop can got callers. The flop came Q, J and 5, again I raised the pot and got a caller. The turn brought a rag and again I raised the pot and again he called. The river brought another J. The way he played the hand, he had to have top pair or an over pair, at least that is what I put him on. This time I checked, he went all in, (about €15 more in a €500 pot) I had to call, he turned over a jack and a 3, what was he doing in the pot in the first place????
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

i know what ya mean about going through a bad beat phase. thats exactly what it is. sometimes you can go for weeks without one, sometimes your on a roll, make bad calls and get paid out. I guess it evens outi is the only way you can look at it.

Im going through I had one the other night that was the biggest kick in the balls in a while, playing tournament and got AA cracked by 10-10, had little left so went all in on A-Q got a call from A-Q and 4 spades came. I had the Q of spades, he had the A of spades. It kills ya but what can you do???

That happened me in the same game, except it was A J, poker is a funny game, has cost me thousands the last few weeks

In the same game I went all in with AA and got called with 66, the flop came 6 6 blank, what can ya do??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

TheEye wrote:
    That happened me in the same game, except it was A J, poker is a funny game, has cost me thousands the last few weeks

In the same game I went all in with AA and got called with 66, the flop came 6 6 blank, what can ya do??

Are you sure you are playing within your bankroll limitations, and/or your playing capabilities?

Some of your questions are not what one of expect of someone with €80 in the pot preflop, whatever limits you are playing at.

What do you mean by playing within you playing capabilities? Bankroll limitations are fine,

It's a fair enough question.

Are you playing at the (a) The level of stakes you are should be playing playing at considering your capabilities ...i.e Should you be playing at such high stakes?

and

(b) Can you afford the bad run that inevitable comes with playing poker ...your bankroll.

• Advertisement

I think thats a bit harsh culchie, all he has said is he capped a pot with AA which is a reasonable play. He folded then with a possible straght on board, flush draw and him with nothing but an overpair. Personally i think the fact he was able to fold it at all is a strong play. hardest thing to do is fold a great hand thats missed on the flop. everyone goes through bad runs now and again.

as for bankroll you could have a point

I'm don't mean to be harsh, I haven't made any comment on his play or judgement, I'm asking genuine questions.

The guy has publicly put into the public arena his concerns and bad beats, so I'm maybe probing a little deeper than the obvious ones just based on the cards, which if bankrolled right, shouldn't knock a stir out of him.

Im not jumping down your throat...i just dont think anything he has said is particularyly bad.

And come on.....bad beats hurt everyone....doesnt matter if financially you can afford it. Im a student and have zero money at the moment so was playing the other day in a really cheap tounrey (about $2) and got AA cracked by 10-10. Bad beats never stop hurting......its not only about the money. Look at phil Heylmuth sure...

Okeydokey .. Padser, we'll agree to disagree.

We're not talking a $2 tourney here, we're talking mortgage repayment money per pot ! ..... We're talking the price of a house per night, at that rate of going.

I think my questions are relevant, they're not about bad beats.

I don't think he said anything bad either, but he asked a question, that when I read it, and taking in the tone, and saying he has lost thousands recently it throws up more questions.

righto...agreeing to disagree it will have to be though.

Do feel i have to make to make unfortunately which is that the amount of money in the pot simply may not be a prob for him if he has it to burn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

TheEye wrote:

In any normal game you should probably drop KK here; that last raise should only be AA or KK, and since you have KK, AA is the most likely holding. Against loose players, KK will have about about a 60% equity in the pot, which means you are getting great value for your moneyy; but you will be outdrawn almost half the time. Against the exact hands you were up against you had about a 70% Equity, so whilst its unlucky; its not that unlucky, you will lose almost 1/3 of the time.

intesting point in the last point. something i often feel is overlooked when people talk about bad beats. generally people are delighted if they go all in and find themselves 70% or 80% favorite however this does mean at best for every 4 times you win your going to loose once. (or more if it 70%). Its terrible when it happens but ultimitely it will happen every 5th time....which is quite regularly when you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

yeh bad beats are horrible and UNAVOIDABLE!

ive had a few in the last while although you got to feel sorry for this one

a friend of mine was in England recently in a tourny. about 100pound entry i think. got to the last table (100+ runners).

got dealt QQ made small raise.

Flop comes Q 7 Q !!!

chip leader goes all in ahead of him

he calls

chip leader turns over A A (terrible move all-in?)

turn A

river A !!!!!!

OUCH

OUCH

OUCH

POKER HURTS SOMETIMES!!

Rory that is positively painful. that actaully makes me feel a lot better about my beats !!!!

The bank role isn't a problem to answer culchie, and normally I take quite a bit of money from those games, how couldn't you with plays like that.....

Bad beats just hurt, was looking for some information on how I played the hands,

It's an interesting point about the kings, I probably should have called and waited to see the flop, then hope to knock them off when that ace didn't hit.

Nothing as bad as those aces have ever happened me, thank god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

If you are playing at this high a level where the pots regularly reach €1000 (and you state that your bankroll is comfortable for this), then you should know enough about poker not to be posting about bad beats and so on.
    You should have read and learned that poker is one long game and even if something is a one-in-a-hundred shot that it happens, wait for it, once every hundred scenarios. So it's unlikely but it happens. Good poker players know this, it doesn't bother them and they understand that in the long term the correct decisions they make will win them money.

Not deliberately trying to criticise your play, or you as a poker player (actually I'm not far off criticising you and your play tbh) but your posts strike me as someone who is out of their depth in their current game. No offence.

Advertisement