Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there no freeware app to password protect a folder?

Options
  • 05-05-2005 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Checked the essential freeware sticky and also searched...best I got was Folderlock version 5.0 which is still shareware.

Surely someone could recommend a prog to lock a folder without the nag screens?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks...I'll give it a go!

Still open to other recommendations that simply slap a password on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

http://www.pcw.co.uk/downloads/1157363

http://www.pcw.co.uk/downloads/1153721

you'll get them if you look...

places you can look for stuff like this or anything else,

pcw.co.uk
    pcworld.com
    download.com
    snapfiles.com [best]

alternatively, just put the right words into google.

google.ie....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Tony H

Try cryptext , right click and enter password and your sorted

cant find a link , i can email it to you if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

http://www.yousendit.com/

stick it up on that and post the reference link, usually lasts for a while depending on how many times its downloaded etc'

• Advertisement

bedlam wrote:
    Oh just noticed I have already suggested this to you in a previous thread about pgping files :)
    Oops :D Having got PGP again I found it didn't suit me...think I was short of time at the time. Much appreciated anyway!

Thanks for all the replies - but in this case I don't want to have to decrypt/zip/etc a folder - I simply want to be able to restrict access to a documents folder when I leave my laptop unattended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Was going to suggest a smartcard system, but forgot you didnt want to pay for your security.

lol my door is smartcarded but I leave it open quite a lot! :D

I'll survive tbh, just have to leave it on the login screen of XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Convert the Volume to NTFS (if it's not already there) and enable EFS on the folder in question. Then password protect your screensaver. You won't have to decrypt the folder to access it, and someone would need to know your password to access it.

Thanks suppose this is better than logging off but I dislike having password protection on my screensaver cos it can locks too quickly or else I have to goto desktop properties and do all that stuff. Lazy is not the word :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement