Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club Discussion Thread

Options
  • 04-05-2005 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Right here is how it goes :)

Everyone gets 3 votes for each catagory. The catagories are light/casual books and heavy/deep/complex/whatever books. This is a maximum number, if you want to vote less then thats fine. Also you do not have to vote for both catagories if you are not planning on reading that catagory's books.

The books suggested have to be readable to a person who isn't proficient in the field in question. This applys most strongly in the heavy catagory, we are all coming from different educational levels and backgrounds here, so we don't want to potentially exclude anyone from the discussion.

I will leave this topic up until Sunday. On the following Monday, or Sunday if I have net access, I will tally up the number of nominations for each book and pick the top 3 nominations in each catagory. I will then post a poll for each catagory seperately, and in that post I will include underneath the reasons people gave for each particular book. This will mean that people don't have to trawl through this thread in order to find info on the different book choices.

Obviously this only works if people pick similar books (I'll count votes for the same author as being for the same book btw, the most popular book of his/hers will be chosen). People can edit their choices at any time until Sunday where Lolth can lock this thread, or at least I'll just jot down the choices and work it out.

Ok suggestions to be given in the following format

Book Title:
    Author:
    Why?: (put a few lines here pimping your choice)

That all clear and dandy?

Right then after the poll runs for a week. This gives people a chance to buy a book if it looks like a sure winner, and it allows people who aren't blessed with regular net access or who can only get on at the weekends a chance to vote and participate.

The winner in each catagory will be the book club's book for the month in that catagory. The second place will be the optional second book for the month for the group. The third is put forwards onto the next months book list and then we vote for a second book in each catagory at the start of June and so on. This will allow faster readers to work away at a decent pace for the month, but since books are only turned over once a month, casual readers or people without oodles of time to read can keep up with the group. A discussion thread for the four books will be stickied for the month. If thats ok with Lolth.

How does that sound for people? :) (I won't vote so the top 3 pick will be impartial)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Okay, I'm really looking forward to this! /me tips hat to nesf

Heavy reading:

Title: Shógun
    Author: James Clavell
    Why?: Well I've heard only good stuff, plus I enjoy Japanese history. (the fact that I just bought it has nothing what so ever to do with it)

Title: "For Whom the Bell Tolls"
    Author: Ernest Hemingway
    Why?: I just started it, and it's supposedly one of the greatest books every written. I'm enjoying it, and would like to discuss some of the themes already cropping up.:)

Light Reading

Title: Silverfin
    Author: Charlie Higson
    Why?: I know its a childrens book, but so is Harry Potter! It's about the young James Bond, and Is a cracking read, really well written. Only problem is there might not be much to discuss. (BTW, pointless info: Charlie Higson is the chap in The Fast Show)

Title:Septimus Heap
    Author: Angie Sage
    Why?: It's another childrens book, but it has close connections and similarities to Harry Potter, so it would be interesting to compare and contrast. Critics say it's excellent.

Title: The DaVinci Code
    Author: Dan Brown
    WhywhywhywhyOhwhy?!?!?!?!: Whoa! Put down the pitch forks! It's a light read, entertains, and we can discuss till the cows come home about this piece of pulp fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I like the idea, I've only read Anne Rice for the past few years (on and off, I don't read enough anymore!) and it would be good to see what kind of books are out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Book Title:The Da Vinci Code
    Author: Dan Brown
    Why?: Because it has provoked scandal and nigh on the whole planet is reading it

Book Title:The Jane Austen Book Club
    Author:Karen Joy Fowler
    Why?: Well, it's about a book club and the people in it...and books of course.

Book Title:Liars And Saints
    Author:Maile Meloy
    Why?: Supposed to be both funny and moving. a bit of humour won't go astray

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭lofto

Book: A million little pieces
    Author: James Frey
    Reason: One of the more absorbing books i have ever read. This book will really get to you.

Book:A farewell to arms/the old man and the sea
    Author: Hemmingway
    Reason:I suppose he is a nice author to start with.

book: curious incident of a dog in the night time
    Author:?
    reason: interesting, some incredible moments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissRibena

Here's my suggestions

For heavy reading:
    Author: Umberto Eco
    Book: Foucault's Pendulum or Name of the Rose
    Why? I own them both and haven't read them and I might need some help.

Author: Ernest Hemmingway
    Book: Anything but like the idea of For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Why? Haven't read anything since Old Man and the Sea and it's time to revisit him.

Author: Honore Balzac
    Book: Pere Goriot
    Why? I haven't read any Balzac but I'm fascinated by the France of this period and reckon it might be good.

For light reading;
    Please don't make me read the DaVinci Code again. Once was bad enough. I'm trying to forget it and people keep bringing it up everywhere. However, to be really honest, I probably will only read from one section and it'll probably be from the heavier of the two (unless it's too heavy and I get scared).

Author: Audrey Niffenegger
    Book: The Time Traveller's Wife.
    Why? Everyone else is doing it, so why can't we.

Author: John Irving
    Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany.
    Why? I've been told it's very good a million times but have never gotten around to it.

Rebecca

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Book: Lolita
    Author: Vladimir Nabokov
    Why? People will probably have differing opinions on it

Book:Anna Karenina
    Author:Tolstoy
    Why? Again, might make for good debate plus all-time classic!

/edit

Oh yeah, these are serious I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Serious

Book: The Crimson Petal and The White
    Author: Michel Faber
    Why: Engaging read concerning Sugar, and the change in the life when she becomes the mistress of a wealthy man. Book reaches out to deal with many characters, but never spreads itself too thin

Book: The Time Travellers WIfe
    Author: Audrey Niffenbegger
    Why: I dunno, it only just arrived from Amazon, but it's supposed to be good, and I'll like to discuss it as I read it

And I'll second Lolita. It's been a long time since I read it, and I'll like to go over it again.

Ligher Reads

Book: The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency
    Author: Alexander McCall SMith
    Why: These are an absolutely charming series of books, with particular affinity for Irish people, or so I think.

I'll come back with more if I think of more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Ahh the return of the book club. Didn't think I'd see it again. Well I'm for giving it another chance after the failure of the last one.

Having said that, to a large extent I'd prefer to avoid "trendy books". That's just my opinion. Similarily, other people will have their "opinions" and this is where the whole thing falls apart. We end up with very little commitment from people to read the book that is chosen. Combine this with the amount of people that generally frequent the literature board and there's a real potential problem.

Also looking back at the "Life of Pi" and "Catch 22" threads there was very little discussion taking place. Mostly it was just a list of mini-reviews by the various readers.

Anyway for my part I'll suggest some reading:

Book: The Age of Reason
    Author: Jean Paul Sartre
    Why?: Probably the Sartre book with the broadest appeal. One of the main topics (abortion) should stir some debate.

Book: The Sound and the Fury
    Author: William Faulkner
    Why?: Technically interesting book - stream of consciousness type of writing - plus its been lying around my apartment for ages and I wouldn't mind a reason to read it.#

That's all I can come up with at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissRibena

I wasn't involved in the earlier bookgroup but I've seen online bookgroups fall apart a lot. Maybe if the vote allowed you to point out a book that would be a deal-breaker/non-runner in addition to your favourite, it might be easier to find the middle ground.

On the other hand, it might make things very cumbersome, especially with two veins already under way.

Rebecca

PS I'd love to give Sartre or Tolstoy a go. Love Lolita but have read it a couple of times in the last few years so probably wouldn't jump out of my skin to go at it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

MissRibena wrote:

...Old Man and the Sea...

Wouldn't be bad for a bit of light reading...

I'd go for Lolita aswell, as I've been meaning to buy it but have always forgotten when I reach the book store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

Book Title:Lolita
    Author: Vladimir Nabokov
    Why?: I guess this is fourthing the book by now? anyhow it's got a great use of langauge and it's got to stir controversy :D it's 4.99 in hmv too (tho anyone with self respect/money would get the penguin classics verison ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Heavy Reading:

Title: Sophies World
    Reason: I tried to read it about 8 yrs ago and didnt finish it (possibly as i was only 12 and its extremely long, and quite difficult to digest) and would love a reason to go back to it. Its an extremely interesting read, kinda a beginers guide to philosophie from a childs prospective. Sounds wierd i know. but trust me its not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 VDe

Book Title:Anna Karenina
    Author:Tolstoy
    Why?: I like classical Russian literature.

Book Title:A Farewell to Arms
    Author:Ernest Hemingway
    Why?:I like style of this writer.

Advertisement