Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should it take this long???

Options
  • 04-05-2005 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Should my pc take 12 minutes to download a 2 and a half minute video clip in real player. I have ntl broadband and i just think this is a bit long. Anybody any ideas as im a bit baffled and im not a pc boffin. Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well it'll depend on a number of other factors such as the site you're downloading from, whether you're downloading anything else at the same time, and the size of the clip. Having said that, it still sounds a little long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

To quote the old saying, "a network is only as fast as its slowest point".

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

ixoy wrote:
    Well it'll depend on a number of other factors such as the site you're downloading from, whether you're downloading anything else at the same time, and the size of the clip. Having said that, it still sounds a little long...

Well it was 6.1mb and i wouldnt say the site was busy as it was just and information clip about a product for bedwetting. Its for my son, not me! Could there be anything wrong with my pc??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

www.irishisptest.com

Run that test. It will give you your download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Cheers for that. It says my download speed is 719 kbps and upload is 124 kbps. Is that slow or what does it mean?

Ciaran500 wrote:
    www.irishisptest.com

Run that test. It will give you your download speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

That irishisptest was a good bit off when I tried it

It told me my download speed was 1.73 Mbps
    Actual download speed is 1.1Mbps (plus or minus 0.1 Mbps)

Told me my upload speed was 99.9 kbps
    Actual upload speed is 126 kbps (plus or minus 5 kbps)

This one is the most accurate downstream bandwidth tester I've seen:

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Select ADSL, then Other - UK

(It lets you use it 3 times per IP address, just turn modem off & on if you want to do a few more)

I'm on the standard Eircom Broadband connection, most likely the first test is overestimating your download speed by some margin so try the second one and see what it says, should be somewhere around the 1 Mbps mark for Eircom Broadband (although some people do better than 1 Mbps with the standard Eircom BB), 1 MB download time should be around 7-8 seconds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

719kb download means that it should take a minimum (i.e. best case) of 68 seconds to download the entire 6.1MB video clip. That sounds very poor though. I thought NTL was 1.5Mb down. Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Khannie wrote:
    719kb download means that it should take a minimum (i.e. best case) of 68 seconds to download the entire 6.1MB video clip. That sounds very poor though. I thought NTL was 1.5Mb down. Am I wrong?
    They say their "ntl broadband starter" package (€25 a month) is 1000 kbps and their "ntl Broadband" package (€35 a month) is 2000 kbps

(Knit-picking, but I assume they mean 1024 and 2048 kbps)

Source:
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

I'm guessing they're getting in the region of 512 - 650 kpbs, which is disappointing regardless of which of the 2 packages they're on, agreed it seems a bit on the slow side alright.

Advertisement