Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card upgrade question

Options
  • 04-05-2005 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 from about november 2002. I want to upgrade the graphics card and was thinking of a GeForce 6600GT. I see this comes in PCI Express and AGP versions. Is PCI Express a totally different set up to PCI...i.e.: would it be incompatable with a normal PCI slot in the motherboard?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Yes, its a totally new standard, you would have to go with AGP assuming your board has it. Theres no way it has PCI-Ex

WellyJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You need a PCI Express mothebroard to use PCI E cards.
    As you have a Dell make sure you have an AGP slot before buying a card. AGP will be your card unless you have no slot.

PCI cards (without express) are **** and not worth buying unless you really really need one.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

Thanks.

I'll check to see if i have any AGP slots this evening.

Would the 6600GT be the best buy in the under €200 range?

Its certainly very competitve at that price range. Theres tons of sites out there that review cards and compare them with rivals. Google is your friend ;)

WellyJ

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Would the 6600GT be the best buy in the under €200 range?

It would be my choice.

I currently own a 9800 pro. They're also an excellent mid / low end gaming card (though not as good a performer as the 6600GT, they are cheaper at this stage).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Could look out for a 6800LE and try up it to a GT but with a Dell thats wishful thinking.The 6600gt is a good card though.

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

get the 6800le agp on komplett for 230, download rivatuner to unlock the other 4pipelines, and you have a 6800gt, worth the extra 30 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

could it be a bit dodgy doing that? Is there a chance it wouldn't work?

I checked and I do have an AGP slot so just have to choose a card now and I'm away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭beaker

I was looking at the very same upgrade for my Dell 4500. Everything I read was pointing me to the 6600GT.

From a few bits and pieces I read, I got a bit concerned that the Dell power supply would not be up to it.

Also, I think my exisiting card (Ti4200) is AGP4x and the new cards are AGP 8x. I'm not sure if this makes any difference.

I couldn't find definitive answers on either of these questions. Not trying to put you off - perhaps someone here can eliminate these issues.

(For me, it was either upgrade or get stuck into my first build. I was happy to use these flimsy concerns as an excuse to decide to build. :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I have the same possible power problem. I'm quietly confident that I (and probably you, I have a 4600 BTW) have a 250v PSU and the 6600 needs 350.

I've sent Dell an e mail to find out about buying a new PSU.

• Advertisement

Everytime someone buys a Dell PC the Baby Jesus cries

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

WellyJ wrote:
    Everytime someone buys a Dell PC the Baby Jesus cries

sure does dell are evil for gamers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Definatly check if your power suply is up to it. Go with the 6600GT cos you wont overclock in a dell case and the mother board prevents you from doing this. Imho save your money and get a new rig, with dell you're just throwing good money after bad if you try and upgrade them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

4Xcut wrote:
    Definatly check if your power suply is up to it. Go with the 6600GT cos you wont overclock in a dell case and the mother board prevents you from doing this. Imho save your money and get a new rig, with dell you're just throwing good money after bad if you try and upgrade them.

Not always.

An extra harddrive or more ram/ better gfx card is nearly always worth it no matter the machine and where it comes from.

If a little money extends it's life it's worth it. Especially if those parts can be carried over to a new machine.

Though in this case it prob would be better to spend the money on a new rig due to the age of the old box.

GFX card will overclock via software in a dell.

Advertisement