Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple vs. Windows

• 04-05-2005 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

It has to be one of the oldest debates and frankly a bit dated, but I need to ask it one more time.

I want a laptop that will handle heavy audio processing. Music editing, sampling, recording etc. I have noticed that apple seems to be the choice when it comes to video editing but having grown up on Windows i'm a bit warey about losing my apple cherry.

Is there any advantage in apple laptop performance to a windows laptop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

i've never noticed much difference in performance... (price, yes)

It boils down to how efficiently you use the OS on the laptop as the "tool" that you want it to be. There is a learning curve coming from Xp to OSX, but nothing to major. I've used WinXP & OSX for music production. Other than the fact that Logic Audio is MacOS only & the kudos (from other muso's) for using Apple gear, i can't think of any real advantage for me... well, I suppose you wont have to worry about buying a virus checker. In my experience thay are both as stable as each other, perform the same tasks etc..

So it boils down to taste & preference...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Well If you ask.

Personally I have always used a PC, I don't see what the attraction is to apple, thats just me, maybe there are some key programmes that are only released for the apple OS, but I've been getting on without them.

One thing I don;t get about apple people, they think they are cool or "different"(TM) even using Yellow Dog Linux or another distro but they are supporting apple inc which is a huge corporation. All PCs arent made by one company, even on hte processor level there are two players AMD & Intel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Fungtank wrote:
    It has to be one of the oldest debates and frankly a bit dated laptop?

What about AMD V intel ; sorry hadda get that in

I already got it in
    "...on hte processor level there are two players AMD & Intel"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

apple are cool, their styling is second to none.
    if u want to use it and want 100% flexibility and low pricing go with a pc, and if u want to pay more, get less, get lovely styling, dont know how to use firewalls/ autoupdates/ anti virus programs or worry about it go apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, be careful when you compare apple prices with PC prices. It's true that there is a lot more low-end PC hardware out there than Mac hardware, so if hardware budget is your issue, the PC will always win. But if you compare like-with-like, the Mac isn't that bad a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Fungtank wrote:
    Is there any advantage in apple laptop performance to a windows laptop?

No.
    dalk wrote:
    .....it boils down to taste & preference...

Exactly.

Personally I like them both equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Well, be careful when you compare apple prices with PC prices. It's true that there is a lot more low-end PC hardware out there than Mac hardware, so if hardware budget is your issue, the PC will always win. But if you compare like-with-like, the Mac isn't that bad a deal.

Exactly, I agree. Apple doesn't do 'cheap/crap' systems that will be outdated in 3-months (out-syled maybe, but that's a different matter!). Budget PC's will need to be replaced as soon as you take them out of the box.

Being a designer, I'm a life-long Apple user, but am now looking for a reliable PC laptop to do all my web design. In terms of productivity, I would choose Apple any day. Beautiful and reliable operating system, stylish design and stability to beat the band!

You may ask why I'm choosing a PC laptop then? I'm still waiting for the rest of the world to bite the apple...

For me it has to be a Sony. Simply because their displays are amazing. Overpriced maybe, and not the fastest or the most feature packed either. But for graphics work the display is my priority. 2nd is a good keyboard and Sony are great. Alternatively IBM would be my next choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

i love my new 12" powerbook.
    i hummed and hawed about getting another intel laptop and after switching to to apple I'm completely happy I made the right decision.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Beats

vector wrote:

Ouch ! :D How humbled we are !

Does it really mater what system you use. Whatever gets your rocks rolling.

Me , Mac user in past, presently using a PC and having numerous what the feck moments, but that's down to my ignorance and failure to grasp the many vagaries of XP. But I'm still willing to give it a try.

Surely what we should agree is that whatever system we plump for, Win/Mac/other , that we learn as much as possible so that we can take advantage of the numerous features in order to ease our work/play with computers. Oh Utopia sounds glorious !

Apple - crash different. I love that. Great movie.

They are both machines, tools. I reckon people should learn to use them properly before bitching about them. In the movie however the guy has the usual type of issues that effect ALL platforms. People like to think Apples don't have them. Which just isn't true. It just had different issues to the PC.

Apple vs Windows. I mean even that isn't accurate. It should be OSX vs Windows (both operating systems) or Apple vs Wintel & AMD etc. (Platforms).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Leeeeennnnuuuuxxxx

Ahem.

I primarily use Gentoo Linux on my laptop and everything works exactly as it should (except my pendrive, which is another matter).

It runs far smoother for me than Windows did, and looks slick to boot. :)

Fenster wrote:
    I primarily use Gentoo Linux on my laptop and everything works ....
    Fenster wrote:
    I can't use any USB storage on my laptop, in Gentoo

To me that would be a problem...

Might help if you read the rest of my post, before you jump to conclusions. Its a problem confined to Gentoo that will probably turn out to be something I caused. Suse 9.1, 9.2, and Fedora 3 and 4 all installed and configured perfectly (except for dodgy screen detection that was fixed in five miuntes), hotplugging included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

AFAIK the lastest edition of MS Office for the Mac has a Windows emulator built in. This means that you can run your windows applications and devices to your Apple and have the best of both worlds.

Fenster wrote:
    Might help if you read the rest of my post, before you jump to conclusions. Its a problem confined to Gentoo that will probably turn out to be something I caused. Suse 9.1, 9.2, and Fedora 3 and 4 all installed and configured perfectly (except for dodgy screen detection that was fixed in five miuntes), hotplugging included.

How is quoting you, jumping to conclusions?

For the majority of people it would be a bit problem that they wouldn't be able to fix. Which is the problem of Linux. You need a lot of technical knowlege to trouble shoot it. Like all OS'es it has it problems. Beside this is a thread about Apples vs Windows. Whats that got to do with Linux?

Beside this is a thread about Apples vs Windows. Whats that got to do with Linux?

Choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

thanks for the input i think i'll stick with what i know for now. Windows 3.1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BrianD wrote:
    AFAIK the lastest edition of MS Office for the Mac has a Windows emulator built in. This means that you can run your windows applications and devices to your Apple and have the best of both worlds.
    is this the vmware M$ bought a while back or vapourware ?

Anyway you can get OpenOffice for the MAC too - so no need to buy M$Office.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BrianD wrote:

That's the Pro Version you are talking about - very expensive - €699!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dub45 wrote:
    That's the Pro Version you are talking about - very expensive - €699!
    You could buy a decent PC and KVM switch for that - the only problem being microsoft insistance of licensing per installed clinet for most apps.

Advertisement