Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Athlone, how long?

Options
  • 04-05-2005 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

How long will it take me to drive (at a non-looney speed) from Dublin to Athlone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

according to aaireland.ie 1hr 48mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Depending on traffic, it should take anything between 1hr 30 mins and 2 hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Ha! according to that site it takes 1hr 34 mins to Tullamore, which has regularly taken me 2.5 to 3 hours.

AA must be travelling at 4 in the morning when there are no trucks/tractors/biddies on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

perhaps the question should be 'what is the best route from Dublin to Athlone?' do not know exactly where in dubin you are leaving from, but perhaps though summerhill or similar?

Good point. What's the best way to Athlone? Travelling from Southside I normally go up the canal and cut up just beyond Heuston Station and get on to the N4 there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

depends on what part of the southside, it takes me 1.5 hours from the tallaght exit on the m50 if i leave at 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Instead of taking the N6 from Kinnegad, continue on the N4 into Mullingar, head into the town and straight through, then take the Athlone road on the far side. It's actually more direct as the crow flies (i'm pretty sure, and if not, the difference is marginal), and though the Mullingar - Athlone section is a worse road, there will be a lot less traffic on it if you are travelling at anywhere close to peak times.

Mullingar can be a traffic nightmare on a Friday evening, take the Castlepollard exit off the bypass and head into town that way to cut out most of it. Take a left into town at the hospital and right at the next roundabout (only three exits), then right when you get a T junction with traffic lights and follow the signs for Athlone from there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

impr0v wrote:
    Instead of taking the N6 from Kinnegad,
    re. Kinnegad whether you go through Kinnegad or around the bypass is whole topic in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

i made the trip last week, it will take between 1.5 - 2 hours depending on traffic, wether, road works ect.

Thanks for all the top tips guys. For what its worth I went through Enfield both ways and had the satisfaction of getting in front of a convoy of lorries both times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement