Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news

Options
  • 04-05-2005 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

:mad: Bad news,
    I had got the new car running well. Used it a few time and was getting over confident.
    On Monday took it out for a bash and hit a curb stone sideways. It shoved the servos and the bettery pack straigt through the side on the fuel tank.
    I stripped the car and cleaned it all up. Fitted a new fuel tank and tried to start it last night. For some reason when pulling the pull start it wouldnt pull fuel through the line? Why would this be?
    Is there a way to check that you have good compression in the engine?
    Should you cover the exhaust pipe when trying to pull fuel through with the pull start?
    Eventualy I snapped the pull start and after putting that back together gave up at about 10:30 last night.
    I even missed the football!
    Any help on this would be great....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Cover the exhaust, and pull the starter, if no fuel is entering the fule line, then you have a compression problem!

Usually the head is not on straight, or tightened properly!!!!

Or it could be your fuel lines, exhaust compression.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

SLIM19198 wrote:
    Cover the exhaust, and pull the starter, if no fuel is entering the fule line, then you have a compression problem!
    Possibly ... but you should check the simple (and most likely cause) first .... Is the carb needle screwed all the way in?
    SLIM19198 wrote:
    Usually the head is not on straight, or tightened properly!!!! ...Or it could be your fuel lines, exhaust compression.
    Might be this.
    Another possible cause is if you disassembled the engine since it last ran correctly, you might have put the piston liner sleeves in the wrong way round during reassembly, disabling some or all of the ports which pump the fuel up....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

dts wrote:
    Is there a way to check that you have good compression in the engine?
    Should you cover the exhaust pipe when trying to pull fuel through with the pull start?....
    First question ... you can feel the compression when you pull the cord...
    Second question .... yes ... this pressurises the tank pushing up the fuel....
    or instead ....
    you can open the throttle to full and cover the air intake on the carb, then pull the cord to suck up the fuel. More effective but not so convenient if the air filter is on the carb at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Cheers lads,
    I took the head off thinking the four screw would only remove the heat sink for cleaning round the glow plug. It sounds like I must have not got it back on properly.
    I will try and reseat it tonight. The problem was I used a ball allen key and the ball end snapped inside one of the fixing screws. This could mean I have a real issue reseating the head.
    Cheers for the tips on getting the fuel in the line.
    If air is getting in through the top would the engine run at all? :( Last night once I had fuel through the line it started but cut out straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Update,
    I managed to get the head off and get the ball out of the screw.
    It seated alot better whenI put it back together this time but it still wasnt pulling fuel.
    I removed the carb and cleaned all the ports. It now seems alot better but was unable to try it again because my glow started now needs charging.
    With a little luck I am nearly there. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement