Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Crystal to close Dungarvan factory

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been the Begining of the End for 15 years now. That said I fully expect actual production of Glass to have left Waterford entirly within 10 years.

Not a suprise, the Dungarvan plant needs investment and both plants are well under capacity. So moving production to Kilbarry clearly makes sense for the company.

The impact on Dungarvan is clearly going to be pretty severe.

When Clonmel lost Digital the government moved quickly with a "task force" and the towns doing alright. Something similair will HAVE to be put in place. And the ppl of West Waterford should remind "the powers that be" the next election is getting nearer every day.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

pretty severe is an understatement

i know a good few working in there and they will all be out of work
    i know couples working there with young children, mortgages and so on

hopefully micheál marting can do something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It would kill that ****er Martin to do anything for Waterford. If Cullen can't produce though, his stock will plummet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

In the last few years we've lost Quigley-Magnesite,Leather Factory,Creamery and now the Glass factory.The town is now based on GSK mainly with some jobs going in Microbrush and the rest either minimum wage in Dunnes or Century Homes if you have a good grasp of Polish!!
    Unless these jobs are replaced by equivalent well paid jobs then Dungarvan is basically going to be a dormitory town for Industry in Waterford and Clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Musashi wrote:
    In the last few years we've lost Quigley-Magnesite

thats closed with more than a few years

• Advertisement
Advertisement