Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cordless drill

Options
  • 03-05-2005 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

In market for 14.4 or 18v cordless drill, a good one - for general work, anyone got any thoughts - looking at De Walt and Makita - ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

There is no need to spend big money on those big names if the drill is for around the house, I use a cordless drill everyday in work and i got mine in argos, It cost about 100 yo yo's it 18volt and its a cracking drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

After a lot of accidents with drills and batteries I know I have one Milwaukee for heavy use, a Hitachi for light use and about six no "Real names" for general work.

I have to say the cheapies do give value for money, just don't expect them to last a lifetime.

The voltage is not really an issue, watch for the amps 2.0 is good anything more is entering the expensive world, anything less than 1.5 is equally as expensive fast replacements needed.

Know what you intend to use the tool for then match the tool with the job ;)

I have looked at the battery tools in a major retail outlet and honestly I wouldn't have them taking up space in the van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The batteries die after about 2 yrs and the replacements are about the same price as buying a new drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've got an Einhell drill for the last 7yrs...still works like new....think it cost about €80 in Woodies
    5 torque settings and a drill setting...no hammer action though and battery life not great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I bought this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001GS0FA/ref=br_hicns_2/202-8345119-0436656

about a year ago and have had no problems with it. I use it for putting up shelving, making great big holes in my woodwork, etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭OhPinchy

Ryobi are a very good up and coming brand - not up there with the likes of DeWalt and Makita but streets ahead of the crap you'll pick up in Woodies or the like. They also come with a 2 year guarantee which is sweet.

I picked up one for £90 from http://www.tooled-up.com (delivery to ireland is £15 but stays at that price no matter how much you get - I got 4 boxes of gear for this price) and the chippie I know says its a damn good drill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I bought a 14.4 Volt NUTool in McQuillans in Blanch for about €30 two years ago.

Light wood work, plasterboard work at home, and driving screws without any problems at all.
    Masonary drilling, not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i got one in argos for €80, 18v cordless drill, there's also a non cordless drill, and comes with 5hit loads of drill bits.

basicly been putting flat pack 5hit together.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I have to go with Rooferpete on this one. If you need quality and reliability, then you would be better to go with the reputable brands.

When I am making or fitting staircases, I have gone through all the well known brands, and De-Walts 18v cordless at 500E was the only cordless that could stick the pace of continual screwing of 6x100 screws, when fitting.

I suppose it depends on what tasks you expect of your cordless.

kadman

I have a 18v Black and Decker which was great but a little underpowered for masonery /hammer action etc. Its about 2-3 yrs old and the battery is knackered. A replacment looks like it will cost the same as a new drill. About €80 In the meanwhile I picked up a cheap drill in Maplins (wired not battery) for €15 in Maplins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RANT Voltage is a marketing term - power is measured in WATTS , for power in a small size you won't get close to a car starter motor and it runs at about 8 volts full load. If they put the wattage on cordless drills you could compare like to like , better still if they standardised on 12-13.8 volts so you could run / charge them off cigarette lighter in a car, except the wattage is so low compared to corded drills /RANT - I HATE marketing misinformation.

The wired ones are usually rated by WATTs alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

I had all kinds of cheap cordless drills. Then I got two deWalts and now I'm convinced. Gave all the others away to my friends.

Advertisement