Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA HD Problem

Options
  • 03-05-2005 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Ok I just recently bought a PC kit from Komplett and so far I have had just one problem.

The PC crashed a few days ago and when I resarted it it blue screened reporting a corrupt ntfs.sys.

Fine, I thought, I'll get chkdsk to fix it. However, when I tried to load Recovery Console from the windows disk it blue screened again. And when I tried to do a fresh format/install it blue screened again. So I can't get through to the HD at all.

Now I looked up ntfs.sys problems and apparently if you use another HD as a master and designate your problem one as a slave you can start windows and chkdsk from there. However, I can't designate the SATA drive as a slave and as a result, even when I use a fully bootable HD (the one I'm using now with the SATA drive unplugged) and try to log onto another copy of windows, the PC blue screens.

So, because I can't dissassociate the SATA drive from the PC and stop windows from trying to load it while it is plugged in, I can't have it plugged in at all and hence cannot fix it.

I also read somewhere that drives who's ntfs.sys files get corrupt are faulty. Is this true? Can I send it back?

I have a new 200GB Maxtor Diamond which I got to use for 1/2 a day before it became unusable.

Is there any way to fix it or do I send it back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 RonanH

Odd, no more info on your problem, but I also got a 200Gb DiamondMAX 10 from komplett which crashed. Had to RMA it. Try the maxtor drive check utility, it's a bootable .iso , it'll tell you if the drive is trashed. Be advised that the drive could take two weeks to get to komplett, GLS suck!!! Komplett will turn it around in a day though, the only hold up in the process is getting it to and back from them. I refuse to buy anything else from komplett until they change their courier service (three different parcels left on my doorstep, one a whole €1500 pc system :eek: )

Best of luck with it.

R

Advertisement